Fonds MC 2234 - Weeting Manorial and Bromehill Estate Records

Reference code

MC 2234


Weeting Manorial and Bromehill Estate Records


  • nd [early 13th century]-1901 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

69 rolls, parchments, bundles and files

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 31 August 1962 (MS 35279). Listed 24 November 2010 (TT).

Scope and content

The archive includes records from the two manors of Weeting and of Southalls and Cocketts in Weeting, leases of the Broomhill Priory site in Weeting and also some medieval deeds of title to estates in Norfolk, Suffolk and elsewhere, many of which were given or conveyed to Broomhill Priory during the 13th and early 14th centuries. These latter documents were inherited by the Master and fellows of Christ's College, Cambridge after the downfall of Cardinal Wolsey, to whom the priory and its perquisites were conveyed when the priory was supressed by papal bull in 1528. The college were to be the owners of the priory estates until 1813, when they sold their Bromehill estates to John Julius Angerstein.
In addition, the records include deeds of title to other Weeting and Brandon properties for the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and Chancery cause papers (Fowler vs Wright) re the disputed ownership of the two Weeting manors in the seventeenth century.
These records relate to the estates in Weeting which were, in the early twentieth century, the property of Sir James Calder of Lynford Hall and after him, of John Calder of West Tofts. Prior to the Calder interest, T.S. Hall was lord of the manor and chief landowner in Weeting, and before him, the Angerstein Family, John Julius Angerstein having purchased the Weeting estates in 1806-8 from Orlando, the Earl of Bradford. After the death of Hall in 1906, the estate was managed by his trustees before being sold, probably during, or just after, the First World War, to various private owners (the Calders among them) and to the Forestry Commission. Weeting Hall itself, became a training centre run by the Ministry of Labour.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Other Weeting manorial court records and papers can be found at the NRO in the ACC Rudling and Co. 18/11/71 archive. Further Weeting estate papers of the 18th-19th centuries are listed in MC 491. In addition, a collection of Angerstein estate records, including deeds from the Weeting estate, are held at the London Metropolitan Archives (see a summary of these in the Alienated Manuscripts, 'Angerstein' list at the NRO).

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places