Thurne, Norfolk

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

  • Lat: 52.683 Long: 1.559
  • OS sheet ref.: TG4016

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Thurne, Norfolk

BT Norfolk

Thurne, Norfolk

Equivalent terms

Thurne, Norfolk

Associated terms

Thurne, Norfolk

19 Authority record results for Thurne, Norfolk

19 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Thurne with Ashby and Oby Ecclesiastical Parish; ?-; Thurne, Ashby and Oby, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/1647
  • Corporate body
  • ?-

In Flegg Deanery. Ashby with Oby and Thurne were consolidated as one parish on 28 November 1604, which was then united with Clippesby by Order in Council of 20 December 1938. A new benefice of Rollesby with Burgh with Billockby with Ashby with Oby, Thurne and Clippesby was created by Order in Council on 7 October 1980. Another Order in Council of 20 April 1982 united parishes to create the parish of Burgh with Billockby and the parish of Thurne with Ashby and Oby.

Oby with Thurne Manor; 1189-1925; Ashby with Oby with Thurne, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/3203
  • Corporate body
  • 1189-1925

Bryant (who calls it simply Oby manor) says the manor was owned in the Middle Ages by the Clippesby family, succeeded by the Guyborns [Guybons]: it was still in this family in 1675. Katherine Guyborn [Guybon], widow of John Guyborne, held her first court 1651 [NRO, NRS 21110].
According to Bryant, Humphrey Prideaux purchased it in 1709. Its later descent is shown in the title deeds to the manor: conveyed by Humphrey Prideaux to John le Heup in 1729 and by Heup to John Smith in 1751. Smith bequeathed the manor to John Tillyard whose heir, John Tompson, conveyed it to Charles Cooper in 1792. Cooper is supposed to have sold it to Snelling Roper in 1809, who then sold it to William Howse: however, Cooper is named as lord in the Inclosure Award of 1810. Howse bequeathed the manor to William Buckle in 1822 and it descended to a relative, Anne Cremer. It remained in the Cremer family: Reverend Cremer Cremer was lord 1838 [NRO, WKC 1/433; C/Sca2/296]. Mrs Cremer is given as lady of the manors of Ashby, Oby and Thurne in White's Trade Directory (1845). Thomas Wyndham Cremer, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1883). Wyndham Cremer is named as lord in the 1900 trade directory. Wyndham Cremer Ketton-Cremer was lord in 1925.

Thurne Parish Council; 1894-; Thurne, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/688
  • Corporate body
  • 1894-

Parish councils were formed under the Local Government Act 1894. They took over the civic and social welfare duties of existing groups hitherto based around ecclesiastical parishes (notably the overseers of the poor). Records of parish charities managing commons under distribution of land as a consequence of the Enclosure Acts can often be found in parish council records.
They are elected bodies, usually on a four year cycle. The number of councillors varies according to the population of the parish.
Parish Councils tend to be responsible for the provision of such facilities as village halls, recreation grounds and children's play areas. They have a legal right to be consulted and to comment on all planning applications in their areas.

Thurne with Ashby with Oby Manor; 1189-1925; Ashby, Oby and Thurne, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/8285
  • Corporate body
  • 1189-1925

Part or all of the manor was held of the Honour of Clare. This was a manor of the Bishop of Norwich, made up of the manors of Thurne and Ashby, the property of St Benets Abbey, passing to the Bishop in the great exchange of lands in 1535. According to Bryant, it was held of the Bishop by Thomas Wodehouse in 1558. Lord Harvey is named as lord in the Parliamentary Survey of 1649, which refers to the manor house in Thurne and the site of the manor house in Ashby.
In surviving records, Reverend W. Adams holds his first court in 1752 and occurs as lord to 1798 [NRO, NRS 16919; MS 21018]; William Hurnard occurs as lord between 1808 and 1847 [NRO, NRS 16920-16921; MS 21019]. The Bishop of Norwich is named as lord in the Enclosure Award of 1810 [NRO, C/Sca 2/296]. A sale particular of 1844 says that the manor consists of 17 messuages, a barn and 325 acres of land [NRO, SPE 679].
The manor was sold by the Bishop to Reverend N.B. Hurnard in 1858; on his death in 1878 it was sold to John Wiseman, who is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1883).
From the MAF list of known manors, the last transaction was dated 1892; the lord of the manor was John Wiseman and J.B. Cocks was steward [TNA, HMC 5/6]. According to Bryant, Thomas Rising was lord in 1899.

Thurne Manor; 1189-1926; Thurne, Ashby and Oby, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/8313
  • Corporate body
  • 1189-1926

The manor was owned by St Benet's Abbey. It passed to the Bishop of Norwich by exchange in 1535 and became part of the Bishop's manor of Thurne with Ashby with Oby, see: Thurne with Ashby with Oby Manor.
Thirne is listed as a Bishop's manor in the Parliamentary Survey of 1649.

Ashby Manor; 1189-1925; Thurne, Ashby and Oby, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/8314
  • Corporate body
  • 1189-1925

The manor was owned by St Benet's Abbey. It passed to the Bishop of Norwich by exchange in 1535 and became part of the Bishop's manor of Thurne with Ashby with Oby, see: Thurne with Ashby with Oby Manor.

Thurne Bungalows Management Company Ltd; 1986-; lease holding company; Thurne, Norfolk

  • Corporate body
  • 1986-

Thurne Bungalows Management Company Limited was incorporated in 1986 as a private company limited by shares. The Company was founded by the River Thurne Tenants Association (an Association dating back to 1948) in order to purchase from Anglian Water a ninety-nine year Lease on one hundred and eighty-five Thurne riverbank plots in the Norfolk Broads parishes of Potter Heigham, Ludham, Repps with Bastwick and Martham. The RTTA could not purchase the Lease on behalf of its members because it was not an incorporated body and, therefore, had no personality in law. Without a status in law, it could not enter into any legally binding contract.

Having purchased the Lease for £405,000, TBMC Ltd then sold Underleases - at substantially the same amount - to one hundred and eighty existing tenants. Since 1986, TBMC Ltd has managed its leasehold plots as a non-profit-distributing company.

TBMC Ltd currently has 184 shareholders, each being a bungalow or mooring plot leaseholder. The leaseholder of each plot is obliged to purchase one Ordinary share in TBMC Ltd. A second class of share with no voting rights was issued by the Company in 1993 to raise cash to purchase equipment required to enable cesspits to be emptied.

Results 1 to 15 of 19