The John Innes Horticultural Institution; 1910-1994; Norwich, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

The John Innes Horticultural Institution; 1910-1994; Norwich, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • John Innes Institute

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



The John Innes Horticultural Institution was founded at Merton, South London, in 1910. The first director was William Bateson. He was succeeded, in 1926, by Sir A. Daniel Hall and J.B.S. Haldane became part-time Head of Genetical Research. Sir Daniel was succeeded, in 1939, by C.D. Darlington. After the Second World War, the Institution moved to Bayfordbury estate in Hertfordshire. In 1966-7, the John Innes Institute moved to its present site at Colney, near Norwich. Other directors of the Institute include K.S. Dodds, Roy Markham, Harold Woolhouse and Professor Richard B. Flavell.\r\nAmalgamated with the John Innes Institute, the Plant Breeding Institute and the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory to form the John Innes Centre in 1994.


Norwich, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 28/09/2018 by Droip




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places