The Grove Hostel; 1954-1976; Norwich, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

The Grove Hostel; 1954-1976; Norwich, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1954-1976

History

At Catton Grove Road, Norwich. Following the destruction of the Woodlands Hostel, Norwich, by enemy bombing in April 1942, the residents were evacuated to St James' Hostel, Shipmeadow, Beccles, Suffolk. The Hostel had originally been built and opened in 1767 as a House of Industry and had been closed by East Suffolk County Council prior to the outbreak of the Second World War. The Grove was opened in June 1954 and formed one of a number of hostels for old people in and around Norwich. Following the transfer of the residents of St James' Hostel to The Grove, the former was closed. The running of The Grove became a County function in 1974 and the hostel was closed in 1976.

Places

Norwich, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB/153/NM/5893

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 28/10/2004 by Droip

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places