Sub-fonds C/SS 1 - The Grove, Catton Grove Road, Norwich

Reference code

C/SS 1

Title

The Grove, Catton Grove Road, Norwich

Date(s)

  • 1942-1976 (Creation)

Level of description

Sub-fonds

Extent and medium

35 files

Name of creator

(1954-1976)

Administrative history

At Catton Grove Road, Norwich. Following the destruction of the Woodlands Hostel, Norwich, by enemy bombing in April 1942, the residents were evacuated to St James' Hostel, Shipmeadow, Beccles, Suffolk. The Hostel had originally been built and opened in 1767 as a House of Industry and had been closed by East Suffolk County Council prior to the outbreak of the Second World War. The Grove was opened in June 1954 and formed one of a number of hostels for old people in and around Norwich. Following the transfer of the residents of St James' Hostel to The Grove, the former was closed. The running of The Grove became a County function in 1974 and the hostel was closed in 1976.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 16 July 1976 (numbered C/SS 1/1-33), 17 November 2008 (ACC 2008/263 numbered C/SS 1/34) and 18 November 2021 (ACC 2021/166). Catalogue of C/SS 1/34 completed on 24 November 2008 (FMWJ and of C/SS 1/35 on 18 November 2021).

Scope and content

Creed Register, Death Register, Accounts and Other Records.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Status

Catalogued

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places