- nd  (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 reel of quarter inch audio tape
Name of creator
Born at Marylebone in 1920. Left school and volunteered to fight with the Republicans in Spain, but was sent back as he was too young. Served with the R.A.F. at Coltishall during World War Two. Settled in Norwich and became an electrician with Laurence Scotts, appointed as their training officer in 1970. An active trade unionist. A Labour councillor in 1954, alderman in 1964, mayor in 1966, and magistrate in 1967. Chairman of the Education Committee, deputy chairman of the Policy Advisory Committee, and chairman of the Housing Committee.
Married a local girl, no other details.
Name of creator
David Percival (hereafter DP) was Norwich City Architect from 1955-1974; his most notable design was for the new Norwich Central Library (opened 1963), which won a bronze medal from the Royal Institute of British Architects. He was born in London and educated at the London University School of Architecture (Bartlett School). He worked for the Miners Welfare Commission and the Munitions Factory Programme during the Second World War and then for Kent County Council. DP was subsequently employed by Newport Borough Council (1947), where he qualified as a town planner. From 1948-1952 he worked for the Ministry of Town and Country Planning, including a spell as a town planner for East Kilbride new town. In 1953 he became deputy city architect of Coventry (under Donald Gibson) and in November 1955 succeeded Leonard Hannaford as Norwich City Architect.
As Norwich City Architect, DP's work was generally considered to be the most outstanding work built in the county at the time and Lord Mayor Sidney Clapham, for instance, said he had brought a 'welcome freshness of mind to Norwich'. He received many awards for his work e.g. Ministry of Housing & Local Government Medal for Good Design for the Midland Street redevelopment (1962), which consisted of 42 flats, 15 old people's bungalows, a hostel and a warden's house. Other award winning entries by DP were for the conversion of old houses in King Street (1966) and schemes at Alderson Place (1961), Heigham Hall (1971) and Pottergate/Cow Hill (1971). He was awarded the Civic Trust Award for housing schemes at Rosary Road (1960) and Pottergate/Cow Hill (1972). In 1965 DP paid fact finding trips to Norwich's twin cities of Rouen and Novi Sad following attendance at the world congress of architects in Paris. In 1972 DP was appointed national president of the City and Borough Architects' Society, having previously served as vice-president and secretary of the same society.
Stefan Muthesius, in a chapter on 'Architecture since 1800' in 'Norwich Since 1550' (ed. Rawcliffe and Wilson) states that: '[DP] introduced the notion that council housing had to be in the forefront of the modernisation process. This involved a new kind of sociological-architectural thinking which, in turn, led to tower blocks and deck-access types, even in Norwich…What emerged from this was the practice of two styles side by side: flat roofed modernist construction in schools and libraries and in some of the housing; and an old-world look, using conventional materials, with pitched roofs for infill housing, of which Alderson Place, Fishergate [actually Finkelgate] (1959), was the first prominent example (pp. 339-40)'.
DP was awarded an O.B.E. (date of this award not known).
Source: Information from DP interview with Stefan Muthesius and Miles Horsey, obituary in the Eastern Daily Press (22 April 1995) and other newspaper articles.
Name of creator
Leonard Hannaford (hereafter LH) was Norwich City Architect from 1938-1955. LH worked as an assistant to Sir Edwin Lutyens, both before and after the First World War and was employed with Lutyens on designs for public buildings at New Delhi in India. LH also played a major role in the creation of the new parliament building at Stormont in Northern Ireland. LH was chief architect to Leicester Corporation for six years before he was appointed Norwich City Architect in 1938. He was elected a fellow of the Royal Institute of Architects in 1934. LH won an award for the design of the Williamson Art Gallery and Museum at Birkenhead which was built under his supervision.
As Norwich City Architect LH was mainly associated with the major expansion of council housing in Norwich and was responsible for the development of estates at West Earlham, Tuckswood and Heartsease. He was also involved with the design and building of new educational establishments in Norwich e.g. the City College. He rated (in an article published 1955) the entrance way to the Ipswich Road playing fields as his own favourite work. Between 1945 and 1955 it was estimated that LH and his team had been responsible for the creation of approximately 6500 houses and 7500 places in new school buildings.
Source: Eastern Evening News article on LH's retirement (15 November 1955) and Eastern Daily Press obituary (31 December 1981).
Name of creator
Patricia Hollis (hereafter PH) was a lecturer in modern history at the University of East Anglia from 1967-1990. Educated at Cambridge University and then taught at Oxford University before moving to Norwich. She entered local politics in 1968 as a Norwich Labour councillor and became chairman of the Housing Committee in 1970. PH stood as the Labour candidate in the 1972 and 1979 General Elections for Great Yarmouth. The first woman to lead Norwich City Council from 1983-88, she served on a national housing finance committee, held the post of TUC representative on the regional health authority (1979-83) and helped restructure local government. She was a County Councillor between 1981-85. Other posts held: director of Radio Broadland, a national commissioner with English Heritage and a member of the Press Council. Author of several books including: 'The Pauper Press' (1970), 'Pressure from Without' (1974) and 'Women in Public 1850-1900' (1979). In 1994 she was appointed a deputy lieutenant for Norfolk. In 1990 PH was created a life peer with the title Baroness Hollis of Heigham in the City of Norwich. She was an Opposition Whip in the House of Lords between 1990 and 1995 and Opposition Spokeswoman on Housing, Local Government, the Environment, Disability and Social Security from 1990.
Sources: Information from UEA newsletter (27 April 1990), Eastern Daily Press articles and House of Parliament website (http://www.parliament.uk/).
Name of creator
Born 1939 in Berlin. Studied at the universities of Marburg, Munich and London. Stefan Muthesius is an honorary professor at the University of East Anglia (having lectured there from 1968 until his retirement) and his works include 'Victorian Architecture' (with Roger Dixon, 1978), 'The English Terraced House' (1982), and a chapter on Norwich Housing in 'Norwich in the nineteenth century' (ed. Chris Barringer, 1984). Collaborated with Miles Glendinning Horsey on the booklet 'Provincial Mixed Development, The Design and Construction of Norwich Council Housing under David Percival 1955-1974' and 'Tower Block: Modern Public Housing in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland' (N.B. Miles Horsey wrote the latter as Miles Glendinning). Professor at UEA.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Received by the Norfolk Sound Archive on 2 September 2010 (SAC 2010/9), catalogued on 14 Jan 2011 (ER/JD).
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used