- 1835-1948 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Union consisted of the following parishes: Arminghall, Bixley, Bracon Ash, Bramerton, Caistor St Edmund, East Carleton, Colney, Cringleford, Dunston, Flordon, Framingham Earl, Framingham Pigot, Hethel, Hethersett, Holverston, Intwood, Keswick, Ketteringham, Kirby Bedon, Mattishall Heath (Markshall), Melton Magna, Melton Parva, Mulbarton, Newton Flotman, Poringland, Rockland St Mary, Saxlingham Nethergate, Saxlingham Thorpe, Shotesham All Saints, Shotesham St Mary and St Martin, Stoke Holy Cross, Surlingham, Swainsthorpe, Swardeston, Trowse Newton, Whitlingham, Wreningham.
Henstead Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The union workhouse was built at Swainsthorpe in 1835. Henstead Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 5 in 1930. In 1948 Swainsthorpe Institution was taken over by the central government and administered as the The Vale Hospital Swainsthorpe.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on an unknown date.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Access restricted for 100 years after date of last entry for some records containing personal information. For access please contact NCC Information Management Team.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
C/GP 11/1-11 are on microform.
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used