Fonds C/ED - Norfolk County Council Education Department

Identity area

Reference code

C/ED

Title

Norfolk County Council Education Department

Date(s)

  • 1709-1996 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

Context area

Name of creator

Name of creator

(1889-)

Administrative history

From Tudor times until 1889 the County of Norfolk was administered by the Justices of the Peace (or Magistrates) through the system of Quarter, General, Special and Petty Sessions. The senior Justice and first civil officer of Norfolk was the Custos Rotulorum (Keeper of the Rolls), an office which from the sixteenth century was held in tandem with that of Lord Lieutenant. The Custos Rotulorum was entitled to preside at Quarter Sessions and he selected all the County's Justices for approval by the Lord Chancellor. The Custos also appointed the Clerk of the Peace, a lawyer who administered the Quarter Sessions' secretariat and looked after the records on his behalf.
Over the centuries the Magistrates meeting in Quarter Sessions developed a system of committees, such as the Committee of Visiting Justices to the County Gaol at Norwich Castle. Quarter Sessions appointed the County Treasurer and also the County Surveyor, who was responsible for County bridges and buildings such as the County prisons and the Shirehouse. The present Shirehouse or Shirehall was built in 1822-1824 by the architect William Wilkins Junior in the time of the County Surveyor Francis Stone. Responsibility for roads lay with the individual parish and Parish Surveyors of Highways were often presented at Quarter Sessions for the neglect of particular roads and were ordered to repair them.
An Act for the Better Care and Maintenance of Lunatics being Paupers or Criminals in England was passed in 1808 and Norfolk was one of the first counties to adopt it. The County Lunatic Asylum at Thorpe St Andrew was opened in 1814 in spacious grounds to care for the mentally ill from all over Norfolk. Its construction and subsequent running were overseen by the Committee of Visiting Justices which was appointed by the Quarter Sessions and was answerable to it.
Norfolk was also quick to adopt the County Police Act of 1839. Prior to this each Hundred in the County had a High Constable who before each Quarter Sessions convened a meeting of all the Parish Constables in his Hundred in order to discuss presentments. The Norfolk Constabulary came into being as a result of a decision on 22 November 1839 of a Special Sessions of Magistrates to appoint a Chief Constable, 12 Superintendents and 120 Constables. Responsibility for the County prisons was removed from the Quarter Sessions and vested in the Prison Commissioners by the Prisons Act of 1877.
The administration of the County through the Sessions system relied on the sense of duty and public spiritedness of an unelected body of men from a narrow class of society. The nineteenth century saw a gradual process of democratisation of the Parliamentary and local franchise, commencing with the Reform Act of 1832. The boroughs had a much wider electorate than the counties and it was not until the Representation of the People Act of 1884 that the Parliamentary franchise was extended to most men living in the counties.
The Local Government Act of 1888 created a new governing body for the counties: the County Council. Elections were held in Norfolk on 24 January 1889. The electoral registers record that in each parish a handful of women who occupied property in their own right had the right to vote in local but not Parliamentary elections. The first meeting of the Norfolk Provisional County Council was held at the Shirehall on 7 February 1889 and the first meeting of the fully-constituted Council took place there on 13 April 1889.
The new Council could not be described as a revolutionary body. Many of the Councillors were Justices of the Peace and the first Chairman, Robert Thornhagh Gurdon (later Lord Cranworth), was also Chairman of Quarter Sessions. The first Clerk of the Council, Charles Foster, was also Clerk of the Peace. The powers of the new Council were not very extensive. A Joint Committee of the County Council and Quarter Sessions controlled the police and courthouses. Responsibility for the County Lunatic Asylum and 267 County bridges was transferred from Quarter Sessions to the County Council. The Council also had responsibility for the maintenance of 824 miles of main roads (which figure doubled within two years of the establishment of the Council) and control of the contagious diseases of animals.
The Local Government Act of 1894 created two further levels of local government in counties: the Rural and Urban District Councils and below them the Parish Councils. A few women were elected as Parish Councillors in the first elections in December 1894. The Qualification for Women (County and Borough Councils) Act 1907 enabled women to become County and Borough Councillors.
In 1903, as a result of the Education Act of 1902, the County Council was given a massive increase in its work: responsibility for elementary education throughout Norfolk (with the exception of the County Boroughs of Norwich and Great Yarmouth and the Municipal Borough of King's Lynn). The County Council took over complete responsibility for the 157 Board Schools (built as a result of the Elementary Education Act of 1870). Responsibility for the 341 Voluntary Schools were more complex. They were principally National (i.e., Church of England) Schools, although there were some British (Nonconformist) and other charitably-funded schools. The managers of the Voluntary Schools retained responsibility for the provision of the school building and for religious education and the remainder was provided at the cost of the County Council. Secondary schools continued to be provided by voluntary bodies, although the Act provided that the new LEAs could provide new secondary schools where necessary.
There were over 1,400 teachers in the various schools in Norfolk in 1903. It was decided that women teachers (who were in a majority of almost two to one) would receive between two-thirds and three-quarters of the men's salaries for similar jobs. However, unlike many Local Education Authorities, Norfolk did not insist that women should resign on marriage. Indeed, some village schools had been run by a husband and wife team before 1903 and it appears that over the years the County Council allowed similar arrangements. In at least one instance (Tom and Kitty Higdon of Burston) the wife was the Headteacher. The new Education Committee as set up in 1903 was to include nine non-Council members, of whom three were to be women.
An extension to the Shirehall - known as Shirehall Chambers - was opened in 1909 in order to provide accommodation for the increasing numbers of County Council staff. The growth in services came to a halt during the First World War, when there were shortages of staff, materials and money. For instance, by 1914 the Highways Department had made major improvements to its 1,400 miles of roads. It employed 700 men at the start of the war but by 1918 the number had fallen to 300 and most of its horses had been commandeered for war service. There was a shortage of gravel as its main source of supplies in Belgium had been cut off. By the end of the war, war traffic - including massive flows of men and materials to Norfolk ports, had ruined the surface of many roads and weakened bridges. In 1920 the Government gave the County Council £100,000 to help with the post-war reconstruction of its road system.
In 1915 the County Asylum was taken over as a war hospital and the mental patients were transferred to other hospitals in the region (such as the Suffolk County Asylum at Melton). By 1919 around 45,000 servicemen had been treated at Thorpe St Andrew.
The Land Settlement (Facilities) Act of 1919 established a fund of £20 million to pay the costs incurred by County Councils in providing smallholdings for ex-servicemen. Norfolk had already made enthusiastic use of the powers granted by the Small Holdings Act of 1892 and by 1914 had purchased 9,000 acres and hired a further 4,000 acres for use as smallholdings. The aim was to provide farm workers with the means to establish themselves, build up capital and expertise and so be enabled to move on to larger farms. In addition smallholdings were seen as a means of stopping the flight from the land to the towns. By 1926 Norfolk County Council had spent over £1 million in buying 13,000 acres of land and equipping holdings for 2,400 ex-servicemen.
In 1927 the County Council decided to move its headquarters from the Shirehall complex to a site in Thorpe Road, Norwich. Eventually a number of houses were converted into offices and three purpose-built office blocks were constructed in their former gardens.
Under the Poor Law Act of 1929 the Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and their powers and assets were transferred to the County Councils and County Borough Councils. Norfolk County Council thus acquired the responsibilities and properties of 19 Poor Law Unions (including workhouses, infirmaries and children's homes).
1930 saw the completion of a project towards which the County Council had been working for several years under the Mental Deficiency Act of 1913: the opening of the mental deficiency colony at Little Plumstead Hall, which catered for mentally handicapped people of all ages. It is a matter worthy of reflection that at the time Norfolk County Council was caring for and maintaining mentally handicapped people on a green, spacious county estate, doctors in Nazi Germany were signing the death warrants of babies they suspected of being handicapped.
In 1930 and 1931 the County Council and the Ministry of Transport agreed on the trunk-road network which exists today: the A10, A11, A17 and A47. Under these agreements the County Council lost control of these roads to the Central Government, a situation which still prevails.
The Air Raids Precautions Committee of the County Council was created in 1936 and during the Second World War 20,000 people served the County as A.R.P. volunteers. 7,000 high explosive bombs and 57,000 incendiary bombs were dropped on the administrative County. 110 people were killed and over 400 were injured by the bombing and more than 50 people were killed in accidents arising from unexploded bombs. 11,000 children were evacuated from the London area and were found places in either existing or temporary schools in Norfolk.
There were 45 aerodromes operating in Norfolk during the Second World War and large tracts of land (in particular around Stanford in the Breckland) were taken over as training areas. A huge number of American airmen were based in Norfolk. Some married local women and took their wives back to America after the war. Others fathered illegitimate children who remained in Norfolk but under relatively recent American legislation can claim American citizenship if proof of paternity (such as a maintenance order made by a Norfolk Petty Sessions Court) can be established. Much of the British-American aerial bombardment of Germany was carried out from the Eastern Counties. Many aircraft returned badly damaged by enemy fire and over 900 allied aircraft crashed in Norfolk, 1,700 airmen being killed.
The war was still in progress when the Butler Education Act of 1944 was passed. The Act significantly changed education throughout the country as it required Local Education Authorities to provide secondary education for all eligible pupils. King's Lynn Municipal Borough ceased to be an L.E.A. in 1945 and transferred its duties and assets to Norfolk Education Committee. There was never enough money available to fulfil the requirements of the 1944 Education Act and as late as 1960 there were still 1,500 pupils being educated in all-age primary schools in Norfolk.
The Town and Country Planning Development Act of 1947 gave the County Council extensive duties and powers to control change and development in Norfolk. Although it delegated substantial amounts of its powers to the District Councils (which already had their own planning functions), the present appearance of the county is largely the result of policies formulated by the County Council, which were published in the County Development Plan of 1952.
With the creation of the National Health Service in 1948 the various hospitals controlled by the County Council (such as St Andrew's, Little Plumstead, Melton Lodge Orthopaedic Hospital Yarmouth, Drayton Lodge Maternity Hospital and the former workhouse infirmaries) were transferred to the Ministry of Health. However, the County Council, as the appointed Local Health Authority, still had wide responsibilities for health including the care of mothers and young children, midwifery and health visiting.
As the work of the County Council increased, the office accommodation at Thorpe Road became increasingly inadequate. Bracondale Lodge with its 31 acres in Lakenham on the outskirts of Norwich was acquired as the site for the new County Hall and Police Headquarters. The eighteenth-century house (designed by William Wilkins Senior) was demolished and the garden (designed by Humphrey Repton) were obliterated. On 1 January 1968 the Great Yarmouth and Norwich Police Forces were amalgamated with the Norfolk County Constabulary to form the Norfolk Joint Police with a total establishment of 1,038 (the amalgamation having been delayed until the new headquarters were ready). Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II officially opened County Hall in May 1968.
In 1970 the organisation of the health and welfare work of the Council was simplified by combining the Welfare, Children's and Health Committees into the Social Services Committee and by creating the new Social Services Department. With the formation of the Norfolk Area Health Authority in 1974 most of the County Council's remaining health obligations passed over to the National Health Service. The post of County Medical Officer of Health, created in 1908, was abolished.
The Local Government Reorganisation which came into effect on 1 April 1974 (under the Local Government Act of 1972) had far-reaching effects. The Urban and Rural District Councils were abolished and replaced by the five new District Councils of Breckland (including the former Borough of Thetford), Broadland, King's Lynn and West Norfolk (including the former Municipal Borough of King's Lynn), North Norfolk and South Norfolk. More radically, the County Boroughs of Norwich and Great Yarmouth, which had hitherto functioned entirely separately from Norfolk County Council, became Districts. Many of their functions, properties and staff were transferred to the County Council. Thus education, social services, the fire brigade and libraries all became functions of the County Council. All seven Districts came to an agreement with the County Council to have a joint museums service.
In the 1980s the County Council faced new challenges when the Central Government ordered that various services provided directly by the Council's own workforce should be subject to compulsory competitive tendering. Eventually several semi-independent business units were formed such as NPS (Norfolk Property Services) and NCS (Norfolk County Services for restaurant, cleaning and grounds maintenance services).
The Local Government Act of 1992 had no effect on local government in Norfolk. The two-tier system of the County Council and the seven District Councils was retained, unlike in several other English counties where unitary authorities were created between 1996 and 1999.
The Local Government Act of 2000 brought radical change to the time-honoured committee system by introducing the concept of the cabinet to local government. Norfolk was one of the first County Councils to have a cabinet when it took part in a pilot scheme which commenced in 1999.
Bibliography
D.E. Howell James, 'The Norfolk County Council, 1889-1974' (Norwich, 1974)
Clive Wilkins-Jones (editor), 'Centenary: A Hundred Years of County Government in Norfolk' (Norwich, 1989)
Nikolaus Pevsner and Bill Wilson, 'The Buildings of England Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East', second edition (London, 1997)
Norfolk County electoral registers, 1889 (Norfolk Record Office: C/ERO 1/110-115)
Norfolk Poor Law Union records (Norfolk Record Office: C/GP 1-20)
Humphry Repton's Red Book for Bracondale Lodge gardens (Local Studies Library, Norfolk and Norwich Central Library)
Extracts from Barton Turf School log books relating to teachers Ernest and Grace Castle (Norfolk Record Office: FX 60/1).

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 2 October 1967 (numbered C/ED 8/2), 15 March 1977 (numbered C/ED 9/1-2), 23 September 1977 (numbered C/ED 2/172-179, C/ED 4/74-77, C/ED 5/31-36, C/ED 10/1-2), 10 August 1978 (C/ED 2/180-185, C/ED 3/244, C/ED 4/78-81), 19 September 1980 (numbered C/ED 2/180-200, C/ED 3/245-247, C/ED 4/82-93, C/ED 11/1-3, C/ED 12/1, C/ED 13/1-3), 3 April 1981 (numbered C/ED 201-204, C/ED 5/37, C/ED 15/1-2), 9 June and 4 August 1981 (numbered C/ED 2/205-207, C/ED 4/94-99, C/ED 5/38-39, C/ED 10/3, C/ED 16/1-16, 18-60, C/ED 18/1-6, C/ED 19/1-18, C/ED 20/1-4), 8 January 1982 (numbered C/ED 2/208, C/ED 19/19-20, C/ED 21/1-28), 27 January 1982 (numbered C/ED 2/209-211, C/ED 4/100), 26 October 1982 (numbered C/ED 2/212-222, C/ED 4/101-108, C/ED 5/40-42, C/ED 10/4-5, C/ED 23/1, C/ED 24/1, C/ED 25/1), 15 March 1983 (numbered C/ED 26/1), 26 October 1983 (numbered C/ED 2/223-247, 4/109-110, C/ED 5/43-47, C/ED 10/6-8, C/ED 27/1-6, C/ED 28/1-2, C/ED 29/1-2), 22 October 1984 (numbered C/ED 2/248-251, C/ED 4/111-115, C/ED 30/1-9), 29 October 1984 (numbered C/ED 2/252-270, C/ED 5/48-51, C/ED 31/1-3), 16 November 1984 (numbered C/ED 5/52-54), 19 November 1984 (numbered C/ED 4/116-117, C/ED 10/9, C/ED 35/1, C/ED 36/1/1-41, C/ED 36/2/1-5, C/ED 36/3/1-3, C/ED 36/4/1-11, C/ED 36/5/1), 17 August 1985 (numbered C/ED 37/1-29), 13 June 1986 (C/ED2/271-295, C/ED 4/118, C/ED 5/55-64, C/ED 10/10-13, C/ED 16/61), 12 February 1987 (numbered C/ED 2/303), 27 February 1987 (numbered C/ED 2/296-300, C/ED 5/65-68, C/ED 10/14), 28 July 1987 (numbered C/ED 5/69-71, C/ED 57/1-23), 31 July 1987 (numbered C/ED 4/121), 26 August 1987 (numbered C/ED 2/301-302, C/ED 4/119-120, C/ED 16/62-63, C/ED 19/21-39, C/ED 34/2-11), 28 January 1988 (numbered C/ED 19/40), 18 August 1988 (numbered C/ED 2-304, C/ED 5/72, C/ED 19/41-43, C/ED 40/1, C/ED 41/1, 42/1, C/ED 43/1, C/ED 44/1-2, C/ED 51/1), 9 May 1989 (numbered C/ED 16/17), 15 November 1989 (numbered C/ED 2/305-312, C/ED 5/73, C/ED 10/15, C/ED 45/1-15, C/ED 46/1, C/ED 47/1), 3 January 1990 (numbered C/ED 37/30-108), 27 July 1990 (numbered C/ED 2/313, C/ED 4/122-124, C/ED 10/16, C/ED 48/1-160, C/ED 49/1-132, C/ED 50/1-123), 17 July 1991 (numbered C/ED 47/2-5, C/ED 53/1-2, C/ED 54/1-4), 22 July 1991 (numbered C/ED 52/1-16), 30 September 1991 (numbered C/ED 55/1, C/ED 56/1-9), 14 October 1992 (numbered C/ED 60/1-9, C/ED 61/1-8), 6 November 1992 (numbered C/ED 58/1, C/ED 59/1-2), 31 December 1992 (numbered C/ED 62/1-5), 15 March 1994 (numbered C/ED 64/1-4), 12 and 21 July 1995 (numbered C/ED 65/1-18), 16 October 1995 (numbered C/ED 68/1-407), 23 January 1996 (numbered C/ED 65/19), 21 February 1996 (numbered C/ED 30/10), 17 July 1996 (numbered C/ED 69/1-5, C/ED 70/1-6, C/ED 71/1-2 and C/ED 72/1-6), 20 November 2001 (numbered C/ED 64/5-6), 15 March 2010 (numbered C/ED 19/45) and 22 May 2012 (C/ED 148), 24 July 2012 (ACC 2012/100, numbered C/ED 147) and 7 August 2012 (ACC 2012/144, numbered C/ED 149).

Content and structure area

Scope and content

C/ED 1 Hardingham Church of England or The Edwards School, reports and returns, 1887-1946
C/ED 2 Log-books of closed schools, 1862-1989
C/ED 3 School Board minute books, 1850-1908
C/ED 4 School admission registers, 1866-1986
C/ED 5 Managers' minutes of closed schools, 1902-1989
C/ED 6 School Attendance Committee minutes, 1877-1903
C/ED 7 School Boards: various records, 1872-1903
C/ED 8 Education Committee: register of staff
C/ED 9 Boughton School, 1935-1943
C/ED 10 Punishment Books, 1900-1981
C/ED 11 Burgh next Aylsham School, 1945-1978
C/ED 12 Frettenham Board School, 1889-1941
C/ED 13 Gimingham School, 1937-1979
C/ED 14 Great Plumstead County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1903-1978
C/ED 15 Strumpshaw County Primary School, 1960-1980
C/ED 16 Education Committee minutes, 1891-1974
C/ED 17 Claxton County Primary School, 1876-1981
C/ED 18 Ingham Church of England School, 1931-1977
C/ED 19 Various Education Committee records, 1892-1972
C/ED 20 Norfolk County Council annual accounts, 1901-1931
C/ED 21 Returns of school staff, 1960-1976
C/ED 22 Blickling Church of England Voluntary Controlled (formerly National) School, 1913-1972
C/ED 23 Shelfanger Church of England Voluntary Controlled (formerly National) School, 1936-1982
C/ED 24 Shelton School, 1951-1971
C/ED 25 Nelson Junior (formerly Board) School, Great Yarmouth, 1964-1982
C/ED 26 Notes on lessons, 1918
C/ED 27 Cranworth County Primary (formerly National) School, 1934-1985
C/ED 28 Swardeston County First (formerly Board) School, 1923-1970
C/ED 29 Somerton County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1930-1983
C/ED 30 Briston Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National) School, 1904-1984
C/ED 31 Crimplesham County Primary (formerly Parochial) School, 1921-1984
C/ED 32 Baconsthorpe Church of England Voluntary Aided (formerly National) School c. 1920-1983
C/ED 33 Little Fransham School, 1931-1976
C/ED 34 Gissing County Primary School, 1958-1977
C/ED 35 Hoveton First (formerly Hoveton St John County Primary, formerly National) School, 1980-1984
C/ED 36 Education Department: various records, 1870s-1980s
C/ED 37 East Anglian School
C/ED 38 Langley with Hardley County Primary School, 1930-1985
C/ED 39 Lakesend County Primary School
C/ED 40 North Tuddenham School
C/ED 41 Halvergate County Primary (formerly National) School, 1930-1985
C/ED 42 New Buckenham School
C/ED 43 Buckenham and Hassingham School
C/ED 44 Alburgh School
C/ED 45 Stow Bridge County Primary (formerly Board, formerly National) School, 1971-1989
C/ED 46 Upton with Fishley Church of England Voluntary Aided (formerly National) School, 1926-1986
C/ED 47 South Walsham Voluntary Controlled (formerly National) School, 1885-1963
C/ED 48 Alderman Leach Secondary School, Great Yarmouth
C/ED 49 Claydon Secondary Modern School
C/ED 50 Claydon High School
C/ED 51 Old Buckenham School
C/ED 52 Silfield, Wymondham, County Primary School
C/ED 53 Stibbard National School (Infants and Mixed)
C/ED 54 Snettisham Board (later Council) School (Infants and Mixed, later Primary)
C/ED 55 Terrington St Clement Infants School
C/ED 56 Syderstone Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National) School, 1876-1991
C/ED 57 Great Yarmouth Area Education Office
C/ED 58 Gurney School (formerly Gurney Primary mixed, formerly North Earlham Junior mixed), 1942-1985
C/ED 59 Gurney Secondary Modern School for Girls, Norwich
C/ED 60 Great Cressingham Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School
C/ED 61 West Bradenham Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National) School, 1926-1992
C/ED 62 Smallburgh Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National) School, 1913-1984
C/ED 63 Art Exhibitions
C/ED 64 Whissonsett County Primary School
C/ED 65 Barroway Drove County Primary School
C/ED 66 West Dereham (uncatalogued)
C/ED 67 Honingham and East Tuddenham Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School, 1873-1995
C/ED 68 School Management Files
C/ED 69 Fordham, The Ryston Church of England Voluntary Provided Primary School
C/ED 70 Hillington County Primary School
C/ED 71 Holme-Next-The-Sea County Primary School
C/ED 72 Castle Rising Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School
C/ED 73 North Elmham National School, 1903-1943
C/ED 74 Stokesby with Herringby County Primary School, 1903-1978
C/ED 75 Ashwellthorpe Voluntary Aided School, 1875-1926
C/ED 76 Wheatacre County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1878-1920
C/ED 77 Saxlingham Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School, 1893-1996
C/ED 78 Belfry School, Overstrand, 1833, 1838
C/ED 79 Poringland County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1875-1881
C/ED 80 Mileham County Primary (formerly Board, originally National) School, 1874-1906
C/ED 81 Whinburgh and Westfield County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1913-1964
C/ED 82 Middleton Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National) School, 1863-1892
C/ED 83 Deopham County Primary School, 1909-1980
C/ED 84 Woodside Middle School, 1962-1985
C/ED 85 Kirby Bedon and Bramerton County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1903-1977
C/ED 86 All Saints South Lynn (King's Lynn) Church of England (formerly National) School
C/ED 87 St James's Council (formerly British or Undenominational) School, King's Lynn
C/ED 88 St Margaret's Church of England (formerly National and originally Jubilee) School, King's Lynn
C/ED 89 St Nicholas's Church of England School, King's Lynn
C/ED 90 Salter's Lode Council (formerly Board) School, 1936-1959
C/ED 91 East Harling County Primary (formerly National Voluntary) School, 1903-1974
C/ED 92 Aldeby Church of England Voluntary Controlled (formerly National) School, 1981-1984
C/ED 93 East Barsham County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1876-1986
C/ED 94 Beetley St Mary Community Primary (formerly Board) School, 1875-1925
C/ED 95 Scoulton Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National) School, 1883-1985
C/ED 96 Thornham County Primary (formerly Church of England) School, 1915-1985
C/ED 97 Dilham Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National) School, 1892-1984
C/ED 98 Pulham Pennoyers Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly Free) School, 1905-1988
C/ED 99 Lessingham County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1920-1985
C/ED 100 Melton Constable School, 1951-1984
C/ED 101 Wereham County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1909-1985
C/ED 102 Sea Palling County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1967-1985
C/ED 103 Holme Hale Church of England Voluntary Controlled First (formerly National) School, 1964-1985
C/ED 104 Brancaster Deepdale Church of England Voluntary Controlled (formerly Parochial) School, 1982-1985
C/ED 105 Cley County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1981-1982
C/ED 106 Elsing County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1982-1983
C/ED 108 Brinton County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1981-1984
C/ED 109 Bodham County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1971-1986
C/ED 110 Felthorpe Church of England Voluntary Controlled First School, 1984-1987
C/ED 111 Fulmodeston County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1981-1984
C/ED 112 Hindolveston County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1981-1984
C/ED 113 Honing Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National) School, 1981-1985
C/ED 114 Hunstanton Old Voluntary Assisted First (formerly Church of England Endowed) School, 1982-1985
C/ED 115 Knapton County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1981-1982
C/ED 116 Tilney cum Islington County Primary (formerly National) School, 1981-1983
C/ED 117 Pentney First (formerly National) School, 1981-1982
C/ED 118 Repps with Bastwick First (formerly Board) School, 1981-1983
C/ED 119 Shotesham All Saints County Primary (formerly National) School, 1981-1982
C/ED 120 Wendling County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1981-1983
C/ED 121 Wroxham First (formerly Board) School, 1980-1984
C/ED 122 Styles Secondary School, Great Yarmouth, 1980-1982
C/ED 123 St Edmund's Roman Catholic Voluntary Aided High School, Gorleston, 1963-1986
C/ED 124 Beeston with Little Bittering Primary (formerly Board) School, 1953-1989
C/ED 125 Shernborne County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1877-1966
C/ED 126 Upwell Nordelph County Primary (formerly Board) School, 1906-1960
C/ED 127 North Runcton Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary (formerly National) School, 1940-1983
C/ED 128 Thomas Bullock Church of England Voluntary Aided (formerly Endowed) School, Shipdham, 1874-1978
C/ED 129 Grants for village halls and playing fields
C/ED 130 Western Area Advice Centre, 1887-1985
C/ED 131 School development and Closure files, 1934-1991
C/ED 132 Appointment of managers files, 1940-1984
C/ED 133 Beechamwell County First (formerly) National School, 1908-1996
C/ED 134 Shouldham Church of England Voluntary Controlled (formerly National) School, 1866-2000
C/ED 135 City of Norwich School (CNS), Eaton Road, 1893-2002
C/ED 136 Fincham Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National) School, 1847-2000
C/ED 137 Garrick Green Infants (formerly First) School, 1989-2003
C/ED 138 Aylsham Community Nursery School, 1942-2001
C/ED 139 East Dereham Secondary School Cookery and Special Subject Centre, 1912-1928
C/ED 140 Gresham County Primary (formerly Council, formerly Board) School
C/ED 141 Aylmerton County Primary (formerly Council, formerly Board) School
C/ED 142 Potter Heigham First School, 1874-1998
C/ED 143 County Education Architect's files, 1920-1955
C/ED 144 East Winch Church of England Voluntary Assisted Primary (formerly National) School, 1893-2009
C/ED 145 North Elmham Voluntary Controlled (formerly National) Primary School, 1863-2008
C/ED 146 Oriel Specialist Mathematics and Computing College
C/ED 147 St George's School, Dersingham
C/ED 148 Reepham High School
C/ED 149 Antingham with Southrepps School
C/ED 150 Norfolk Education Department Adoption Records
C/ED 151 Dereham St Nicholas Church of England Voluntary Assisted Junior (formerly National, formerly Middle) School
C/ED 152 Loddon Primary School
C/ED 153 Grimston Junior School, c. 1975-2011
C/ED 154 St John's Roman Catholic Voluntary Aided Infant (formerly First, formerly Infant) School
C/ED 155 St Thomas More Roman Catholic Voluntary Aided Junior (formerly Middle, formerly Infant) School
C/ED 156 Bridgham School
C/ED 157 Acle High School
C/ED 158 Stanhoe Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School
C/ED 159 Gunthorpe with Bale School
C/ED 160 Beachamwell First School
C/ED 161 Burston Community Primary School (Formerly Burston and Shimpling Council School)
C/ED 162 Thorpe St Andrew Church of England (formerly National) School
C/ED 163 Thompson Primary (formerly National and Church of England)
C/ED 164 Caston Primary School
C/ED 165 Burnham Market County Primary School, formerly Burnham Westgate Boys, Girls and Infants Schools
C/ED 166 Burnham Overy Staithe Primary School
C/ED 167 Toftwood Junior School
C/ED 168 Mattishall County Primary (formerly National, later First) School
C/ED 169 Mattishall Middle School
C/ED 170 Norton Subcourse Voluntary Aided School
C/ED 171 Gressenhall Church of England Voluntary Aided (formerly National) School
C/ED 172 Brooke Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National) School
C/ED 173 Attleborough Infants' (formerly National and Board, later County First) School
C/ED 174 Fleggburgh Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National) School
C/ED 175 Sprowston First (formerly National) School
C/ED 176 Emneth Nursery School
C/ED 177 Field Dalling County Primary School
C/ED 178 Wensum Junior Academy (formerly Wensum Middle School, previously Wensum View Primary/Junior School)
C/ED 179 Records of St Andrew's Primary School, North Pickenham
C/ED 180 Moulton St Michael Voluntary Controlled Primary (formerly National School) at Great Moulton
C/ED 181 William Marshall Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School Welney
C/ED 182 West Raynham Primary School
C/ED 183 Surveys of schools

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

For Reports of School Medical Officer, 1931-1932, 1965-1971, 1973, see MS 21605, 480X1. See also C/MH and C/ED 19/39.
The History Centre Blakeney holds a photocopy of Blakeney School admission register, 1864-1912; for contact details, see www.history-blakeney-area.org.uk. (Information recieved March 2015) or see digital images held by Norfolk Record Office (reference ACC 2017/67).

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places