Little Fransham Manor; 1189-1925; Little Fransham, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Little Fransham Manor; 1189-1925; Little Fransham, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



This manor appears to have been united with Circums and Wilcox manor by the late seventeenth century. Bought by Arthur Capell in 1513 and descended through the family, including Henry Capell, who occurs as lord 1565, 1580-1588, Arthur Capell who occurs as lord 1588-1598, 1610-16. The Capell family were later Earls of Essex. Court rolls from 1676 give the manor name as Circums and Wilcox alias Little Fransham and the lord as the Earl of Essex (1727 William Earl of Essex; 1755 Ann Holles Earl of Essex; 1813 to 1820 Harriot Dowager Countess of Essex; 1822 -18 25 Arthur Algernon Capel Esq., by 1841 he is Arthur Algernon Earl of Essex). The manor was sold by the Earl of Essex, with Great Fransham and 'land in Little Fransham' in 1850 to John Hudson. It was then subsequently sold to John Hewitt in 1872. The lord of the manor is given as Charles Henry Capon Esq. in 1873.


Little Fransham, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 22/01/2003 by Droip




F. Blomefield, 'An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk' (11 vols, London, 1805-1810) at British History Online.

Maintenance notes

Proven MDR

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places