Ketteringham, Norfolk

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

  • Lat: 52.568 Long: 1.186
  • OS sheet ref.: TG1502

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Ketteringham, Norfolk

BT Norfolk

Ketteringham, Norfolk

Equivalent terms

Ketteringham, Norfolk

Associated terms

Ketteringham, Norfolk

13 Authority record results for Ketteringham, Norfolk

13 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Eleanor Maud Storey; 1917-; office worker; Wymondham, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/10261
  • Person
  • 1917-

Betty Janes was born Eleanor Maud ("Betty") Storey on 24th June 1917 at Shotesham, the 4th and youngest child of Herbert Storey and Ellen Storey (nee Cox). After Shotesham the family moved to East Harling c.1920, then Illington c.1921, then East Wretham c.1927 (briefly), then the keeper's cottage in Smeeth Wood, Ketteringham c.1927, and finally to a cottage at the end of Spinks Lane by the A11, at Wymondham c.1939 when her father retired. Her father was a gamekeeper apart from a period at the end of WW I and at East Harling where he was a policeman.
Eleanor Maud Storey left school and worked briefly in service at Stanfield Hall, but then was taught shorthand by her elder brother, from her mother's 1st marriage, whilst he worked as a signalman at Cawston. She took the train from Hethersett to Cawston on the "coffeepot", apparently some type of bus on rails that was tried out in Norfolk in the 1930s. She then worked as a secretary at both brush factories in Wymondham until moving to Market Harborough. Eleanor Maud Storey married Francis Charles Bernard ("Bernard") Janes on 18 July 1942 at Market Harborough. (These details were provided by their son Mr Keith Janes.)

East Carleton and Ketteringham Parish Council; 1970-; East Carleton and Ketteringham, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/20952
  • Corporate body
  • 1970-

Parish councils were formed under the Local Government Act 1894. They took over the civic and social welfare duties of existing groups hitherto based around ecclesiastical parishes (notably the overseers of the poor). Records of parish charities managing commons under distribution of land as a consequence of the Enclosure Acts can often be found in parish council records.
They are elected bodies, usually on a four year cycle. The number of councillors varies according to the population of the parish.
Parish Councils tend to be responsible for the provision of such facilities as village halls, recreation grounds and children's play areas. They have a legal right to be consulted and to comment on all planning applications in their areas.
Previously East Carleton Parish Meeting and Ketteringham Parish Meeting. Grouped together to form East Carleton and Ketteringham Parish Council by Norfolk County Council order in 1970 (see C/C 13/1).

William Heveningham; 1604-1678; politician, regicide; Ketteringham, Norfolk, and Heveningham, Suffolk

  • GB/153/NM/7089
  • Person
  • 1604-1678

Heveningham was Sheriff of Norfolk in 1634 and was one of the Judges of Charles I whose death warrant, however, he refused to sign. He saved his life by surrendering under the proclamation of 6 June 1660. He was MP for Stockbridge, Hants., 1640, a member of the Council of State, 1650, and vice-admiral of Suffolk, 1651. In 1660 he was attainted and imprisoned in Windsor Castle. He remained in custody until his death in 1678. His second wife was Mary Cary (d 1696), daughter of John, Earl of Dover.

Ketteringham Manor; 1189-1925; Ketteringham, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/8253
  • Corporate body
  • 1189-1925

John Argentem died in possesssion 1318-9 [IPM 6/177]. John Argentem died in possession, 1382-3; heirs his three daughters [IPM 15/673, 899]. It was owned by the Heveningham family in the 15th to late 17th centuries. In the 19th cent and later it was owned by the Boileau family of Ketteringham Hall.

Ketteringham Rectory Manor; 1189-1925; Ketteringham, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/8295
  • Corporate body
  • 1189-1925

The NRO does not hold any court books for this manor, however there is a seventeenth century particular with Saxthorpe Micklehall and Loundhall [NRO, NRS 8557]. Whether the manors had common tenure at this point is unclear. An early eighteenth century conveyence of fee farm rent out of Ketteringham Rectory would suggest the manor was still in existence at this date [NRO, MC 70/14]. The conveyence was by Edmund Lock to Edward Atkyns.