John Innes Centre; 1994-; research centre for plant science and microbiology; Norwich, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

John Innes Centre; 1994-; research centre for plant science and microbiology; Norwich, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



The John Innes Centre was established in 1994 by the amalgamation of the John Innes Institute, the Plant Breeding Institute and the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory.\r\nThe John Innes Horticultural Institution was founded at Merton, South London, in 1910. The first director was William Bateson. He was succeeded, in 1926, by Sir A. Daniel Hall and J.B.S. Haldane became part-time Head of Genetical Research. Sir Daniel was succeeded, in 1939, by C.D. Darlington. After the Second World War, the Institution moved to Bayfordbury estate in Hertfordshire. In 1966-7, the John Innes Institute moved to its present site at Colney, near Norwich. Other directors of the Institute include K.S. Dodds, Roy Markham, Harold Woolhouse and Professor Richard B. Flavell.\r\nThe Plant Breeding Institute was established in 1912, within the Cambridge University School of Agriculture. In 1948, it was established as an Agricultural Research Council institute, which resulted in it severing its links to Cambridge University. In 1955, it moved from the University farm to Trumpington, Cambridgeshire. In 1987, the non-privatised part of the PBI was integrated into the Institute of Plant Science Research, which included the John Innes Institute and the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory in Sussex. In 1990, the majority of the PBI's scientific staff were relocated to newly built facilities at the John Innes Institute. Directors of the Institute include Sir Rowland Biffen, H. Hunter, G.D.H. Bell, and Sir Ralph Riley.\r\nThe Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory was established in 1963, as the Agricultural and Food Research Council (AFRC) Unit of Nitrogen Fixation. Initially it was located at the Veterinary College and Queen Mary College, London. In 1965, it moved to the Chemistry Laboratories at the University of Sussex. In 1987, the Unit was incorporated into AFRC Institute of Plant Science Research (IPSR), which included the John Innes Institute and Cambridge Laboratory. In 1992 AFRC decided to move the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory into a purpose-built laboratory on the John Innes Centre site. This move took place in late summer 1995. Directors of the Laboratory include J. Chatt, J.R. Postgate and Barry E. Smith.


Norwich, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Research Centre For Plant Science and Microbiology

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 28/09/2018 by Droip




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places