Ironmonger

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Ironmonger

Ironmonger

Equivalent terms

Ironmonger

Associated terms

Ironmonger

23 Authority record results for Ironmonger

23 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Wallace King plc; 1906-1992; home furnishers, ironmongers and removals/storage operators; Norwich, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/1761
  • Corporate body
  • 1906-1992

Based at 24/26 Prince of Wales Road, Norwich. Wallace Henry King originated from Beccles and was apprenticed to a Norwich ironmongery firm, Messrs Flatts of Magdalen Street. After apprenticeship, he started his own removal/storage business in Goat Lane before moving, first to Surrey Street, and secondly, to 18 Bethel Street (on the site of the present City Hall). Stabling for the firm's horses was rented in Chapelfield Road. In trade directories of the 1890s, he advertised himself as a furnishing ironmonger and furniture dealer. The firm was known as Messrs W. King and Co. By September 1898, however, with the business close to bankruptcy, King was forced to assign it over to trustees, Charles Larking and G.J. Burton. In 1900, the trust was reassigned to George Burton and Edward Theobald (partners of the firm, Messrs Johnson, Burton and Theobald of London Street, ironmongers) with the proviso that King should be employed as general manager.
King eventually repurchased the business in 1906 and established, on 4 May that year, a new, joint stock, limited liability company entitled, Wallace King and Co. Ltd. At the same time, the company bought 24/26 Prince of Wales Road, Norwich and established a large home- furnishing and ironmongery department store and removals agency there. It was a site they were to occupy for the next 90 years. In addition, the company occupied depository and wharf premises in Mountergate and King Street, Norwich.
In 1949, Wallace King died, leaving his son, Clifford, to manage the business.The business expanded to purchase businesses in Colchester, Ipswich, Ely, Bury St Edmund, Royston and Hitchin. In addition, branches were established in Diss and Reepham.
In June 1992, the company, then styled Wallace King plc, fell prey to the then prevailing recession and passed into receivership. A management buy-out of the Prince of Wales premises was finally agreed and a new business, Wallace King Interiors, established. The final break with the Prince of Wales site came in November 1997, when the new business sold the premises and moved to Botolph Street, where it continued trading until 2011.

John Salter; ?-1669; Mayor of Norwich, ironmonger; Norwich, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/5105
  • Person
  • ?-1669

Son of Nicholas Salter of Worlingworth, Suffolk, and Elizabeth. Wife Elizabeth, daughter of John Bridge of Norwich. Son, William, and three daughters. An ironmonger, he was sheriff in 1639, and mayor in 1655. Buried in the north aisle of St Andrew's Church, Norwich. His will was proved at Norwich. Died in 1669 aged 77 years.

Roger Mingay; ?-1666; ironmonger, Mayor of Norwich; Norwich, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/5108
  • Person
  • ?-1666

Married Mary, daughter of Simon Davy, in 1627 at St Peter Mancroft Church, Norwich. Three sons, John, Anthony and Roger. Family from Norwich and Arminghall, Norfolk. An ironmonger, he was sheriff in 1653, and mayor in 1658. Lord of Curson's manor in Swainsthorpe, Norfolk. Buried in St Stephen'

Thomas Starling; c 1705-1788; Mayor of Norwich, ironmonger; Norwich, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/5215
  • Person
  • c 1705-1788

Wife Barbara Manning. Sheriff in 1765, and mayor in 1767. Admitted as a freeman in 1738 as an ironmonger. Elected alderman for St Giles Ward, Norwich, in 1764. Gave an altar piece to St Peter Mancroft Church in 1768. Died 11 January 1788 aged 81 years.

Plowright, Pratt and Harbage Ltd; 1912-?; ironmonger; King's Lynn, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/7461
  • Corporate body
  • 1912-?

Plowright, Pratt and Harbage Ltd were incorporated in 1912. The company's name was changed to P.P. & H. Ltd in 1973. The company traded from 7/8 Norfolk Street, King's Lynn, and had branches in Swaffham and Wisbech. They were suppliers of the Sandringham Estate and holders of royal warrants for George VI and Elizabeth II.

Gunton, Sons & Dyball; 1879-1970s; wholesale and retail ironmongery, builders' and plumbing merchants; Norwich, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/8067
  • Corporate body
  • 1879-1970s

Established in 1879 by Charles Alban Gunton, this wholesale ironmongery, from as early as 1883, was based in premises in what later came to be known as St George Street, but which, at that time, was called Bridge Street, St Andrews, Norwich. Their premises at 18 Bridge Street later came to be at 36 Bridge Street on the southern side of Blackfriars Bridge. By 1908, the business had taken on new partners and the name had become, Gunton, Sons & Dyball. Their address at the same premises was now 36 St George Street.
In 1914, they also supplied the retail ironmongery trade, and by the 1930s, the premises occupied nos 30-42 St George Street. It was in the early 1930s that they became a private, limited company, by which time they has expanded into the builders and plumber' merchandise trade. It was in this latter capacity, that they were acquired in 1937 by Steel & Co. Ltd (later the Steel Group) of Sunderland, agricultural and general engineers and merchants, who were then in the process of becoming a public company and were actively expanding through acquisitions.
Gunton, Sons & Dyball remained trading in their St George Street premises, though, by 1950, they were simply known as Guntons of Norwich, and by 1960, Gunton & Havers Ltd. In 1963, Steel & Co. (then called the Steel Group) divested themselves of this small Norwich business. Gunton & Havers Ltd continued to trade as builders merchants in the same premises until, in 1967/8 they moved, for the first time from the city centre, to the Tuckswood Works, on a suburban industrial estate on Hall Road. They were still tradng in a small way in 1975.

Results 1 to 15 of 23