Wicklewood Manor; 1189-1925; Wicklewood, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Wicklewood Manor; 1189-1925; Wicklewood, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1189-1925

History

The property of Norwich cathedral priory; the manor was farmed by John Milicent at the point of the peasant uprisings in 1381. The manor passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; retained by the Crown at the refoundation, 1547; \r\nJohn, Lord Wodehouse is named as lord in the Wicklewood Inclosure Award of 1808 [NRO, C/Sca 2/33].\r\nLord Wodehouse is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nThe Earl of Kimberley, given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1895; lord of the manor: Earl of Kimberley; Steward: George Forrester [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nAccording to the Inland Revenue list of 1925, the Earl of Kimberley was lord and Daynes, Son and Keefe the stewards.

Places

Wicklewood, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB/153/NM/4514

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 22/01/2003 by Droip

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

F. Blomefield, 'An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk' (11 vols, London, 1805-1810)
A.W. Reid, 'The Rising of 1381 in South West and Central Norfolk', in B. Corn

Maintenance notes

Proven MDR
  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC