- 1199-1929 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Mayor in 1908. Became a solicitor in 1866 and worked in his father's practice. A good sportsman, he was founder of the Thames Hare and Hounds and secretary of the London Athletic Club. Studied and transcribed Norfolk records. As a councillor he served on the Museum and Library Committee, 1904-1929. One of the first people to use a wherry as a pleasure craft on the Norfolk Broads. Secretary of the Broads Society. Also involved in the preservation and reconstruction of Anguish House, Bacon House, Lazar House and the Maid's Head Hotel, Norwich.
Wrote 'Norfolk Pedigrees', 'Norfolk Antiquarian Miscellany', 'Calendar of Norwich Deeds'.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A catalogue of all the Norfolk Manuscripts presented to the Norwich Public Libraries from time to time by the late Mr Walter Rye and of those bequeathed by him. The numbers of the Manuscripts which precede the entries are those used by Mr Rye, and up to 122 correspond to the numbers in the list of Manuscripts published in his 'Calendar of Norwich Deeds Enrolled, etc.' (1910), pp. 167-172. In 1889 Mr Rye published a descriptive and illustrated 'Catalogue of Fifty of the Norfolk Manuscripts in the Library of Mr Walter Rye, Winchester House, Putney'.
The sale catalogues referred to in the notes are as follows:
Catalogue of the Norris Manuscript Collections formed by Sir John Fenn, formerly the property of the Rt Honourable John Hookham Frere, sold by Christie, Manson and Woods, 31 July 1888; Catalogue of the Library of Printed Books and Manuscripts of John Tudor Frere, sold by Sotheby, Wilkinson and Hodge, 14 February etc. 1896; and Catalogue of the Antiquarian Library of G.A. Carthew, sold by Sotheby, Wilkinson and Hodge, 8 November 1883.