File ANW/S 2/1 - Unidentified [? Thompson] manor court roll

Identity area

Reference code

ANW/S 2/1

Title

Unidentified [? Thompson] manor court roll

Date(s)

  • nd [? 16th century] (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

1 parchment

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Thompson parish was divided into several parts at the Conquest, belonging to, amongst others, Earl Warren, Earl Ralf and Roger Bigot. The subsequent descents of landholding are rather complicated; as Blomefield states, 'the confusion of the manors are so great, that I cannot pretend to trace their divisions and subdivisions exactly'. By the thirteenth century, besides the capital manor, there were also manors called Barries (see Barries, Thompsons and Caston Hall manor in Caston) and Burdeloes or Waterhouse. \r\nIn 1282 Robert de Thomeston was lord of the capital manor, although there was to be a lengthy legal dispute (see Blomefield) regarding the manor and the advowson. The manor passed to the Crowe family (one of Robert de Thomeston's daughters, Margaret, married Roger Crowe) and in 1307 Guy de Boutetort purchased the capital manor from the Crowes. Agnes Crowe, a descendant of Roger and Margaret, married Sir John Shardlowe in 1307 and at some point in the early fourteenth century a large part of the manor came from the Boutetort to the Shardlowes. This part was given by Shardlowes' heirs to their newly-founded chantry college in 1349 (see Thompson late of the College manor). \r\nThe remainder of the manor was held by Boutetorts, or Botours as they were then called, and passed by marriage to the Edmond family of Cranworth in the early sixteenth century. By 1523 Thomas Spring was lord. The manor remained with the Springs until the late sixteenth century; Dorothy Spring, widow of Sir John Spring, held her first court in 1550. The manor passed through a number of hands over the next two hundred years: Thomas Page is given as lord in 1640 and 1651; William Le Hunt in 1660; John Gage of Camberwell in 1672; Thomas Grundy of Westminster in 1674 and John Grundy in 1691; between 1751 and 1757 various members of the Neale family were lords of the manor. William de Grey purchased it in 1769 and ceded it to William Tooke, who owned the college manor. The Tookes held the manor until the mid-nineteenth century when Thomas de Grey, 5th Baron Walsingham held court in 1851; the de Greys having also bought the college manor from the Tookes. The two manors remained with the Lords Walsingham into the twentieth century.\r\nLord Walsingham is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nA sale particular of 1907 refers to the 'Manor or reputed Manor of Churchouse and Waterhouse in Thompson' [NRO, WLS xl/37].

Name of creator

(1349-1925)

Administrative history

Thompson chantry college was founded in 1349 by John and Thomas Shardlowe, heirs of Sir John Shardlowe who had died in 1344. Sir John had come to a large part of Thompson capital manor by marriage (see Butters Hall manor for further detail), and it was this part that his sons endowed to the chantry college. The college was also endowed with Bradcar Hall manor in Shropham. \r\nAt the Dissolution the college manor was given to Sir Edmund Knyvett. Knyvett sold the manor after two years, and it then passed through a number of hands before being conveyed to Robert Futter in the late sixteenth century. Futter also held Burdeloes and Waterhouse manors (see Butters Hall manor for further details). The college manor remained with the Futters into the seventeenth century and was sold to Mr Cater in the early eighteenth century. William Tooke bought the college manor in 1759. It remained with the Tookes until 1844 when it was exchanged for land in Suffolk held by the de Grey family. The de Greys, as Lords Walsingham, held this manor, and Butters Hall, into the twentieth century. \r\nLord Walsingham is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Incomplete.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Unfit for production.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

ac94ba42-3d6a-43eb-874c-75bdcaa2d2b6

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 23/08/2001 by Droip. Modified 07/06/2018 by Droip.

Sources

Accession area