Fonds BRA 239 - Title Deeds and other papers concerning various Norfolk Parishes

Identity area

Reference code

BRA 239

Title

Title Deeds and other papers concerning various Norfolk Parishes

Date(s)

  • 1557-1824 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

26 pieces

Context area

Name of creator

(?-1742)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1755)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1755)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1755)

Biographical history

Name of creator

Name of creator

(fl 1776)

Biographical history

Name of creator

Name of creator

(fl 1760)

Biographical history

Name of creator

Name of creator

(fl 1790)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1811)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1811)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1811)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1792)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1824)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1824)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1824)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1634)

Biographical history

Married Anne Buckworth.

Name of creator

(fl 1634)

Biographical history

Married Thomas Buckworth.

Name of creator

(fl 1557)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1557)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1809)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1809)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1809)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1743)

Biographical history

Name of creator

Name of creator

(fl 1709)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1709)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1712)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1712)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1741)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1741)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1741)

Biographical history

Name of creator

Name of creator

(fl 1769)

Biographical history

Name of creator

Name of creator

Name of creator

(?-1742)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Thompson parish was divided into several parts at the Conquest, belonging to, amongst others, Earl Warren, Earl Ralf and Roger Bigot. The subsequent descents of landholding are rather complicated; as Blomefield states, 'the confusion of the manors are so great, that I cannot pretend to trace their divisions and subdivisions exactly'. By the thirteenth century, besides the capital manor, there were also manors called Barries (see Barries, Thompsons and Caston Hall manor in Caston) and Burdeloes or Waterhouse. \r\nIn 1282 Robert de Thomeston was lord of the capital manor, although there was to be a lengthy legal dispute (see Blomefield) regarding the manor and the advowson. The manor passed to the Crowe family (one of Robert de Thomeston's daughters, Margaret, married Roger Crowe) and in 1307 Guy de Boutetort purchased the capital manor from the Crowes. Agnes Crowe, a descendant of Roger and Margaret, married Sir John Shardlowe in 1307 and at some point in the early fourteenth century a large part of the manor came from the Boutetort to the Shardlowes. This part was given by Shardlowes' heirs to their newly-founded chantry college in 1349 (see Thompson late of the College manor). \r\nThe remainder of the manor was held by Boutetorts, or Botours as they were then called, and passed by marriage to the Edmond family of Cranworth in the early sixteenth century. By 1523 Thomas Spring was lord. The manor remained with the Springs until the late sixteenth century; Dorothy Spring, widow of Sir John Spring, held her first court in 1550. The manor passed through a number of hands over the next two hundred years: Thomas Page is given as lord in 1640 and 1651; William Le Hunt in 1660; John Gage of Camberwell in 1672; Thomas Grundy of Westminster in 1674 and John Grundy in 1691; between 1751 and 1757 various members of the Neale family were lords of the manor. William de Grey purchased it in 1769 and ceded it to William Tooke, who owned the college manor. The Tookes held the manor until the mid-nineteenth century when Thomas de Grey, 5th Baron Walsingham held court in 1851; the de Greys having also bought the college manor from the Tookes. The two manors remained with the Lords Walsingham into the twentieth century.\r\nLord Walsingham is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nA sale particular of 1907 refers to the 'Manor or reputed Manor of Churchouse and Waterhouse in Thompson' [NRO, WLS xl/37].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

All or part of this manor was held of the Honour of Clare.\r\nInquisitions post mortem provide information about the tenant-in-chief of the manor: Elizabeth, late wife of William de Latymer, holding of the earl of Pembroke as of his manor of Hockham, died in possession 1393-4; heir Elizabeth the wife of Sir John Neville [IPM 1:15/1006]. Sir John de Hevill died in possession, 1388-9; heir his son Ralph de Nevill [IPM 1:16/725].\r\nSir Robert Clayton became lord in 1686, and the manor descended through the Clayton family. William Clayton paid fine to the Honour of Clare for his entry to the lordship of the manor, 1709 [NRO, MS 10829]. Lord Howard de Walden paid fine to the Honour of Clare for entry to the lordship 1785. [NRO, BL/MA 68]. Sir W.R. Clayton is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845). Sir William Clayton was lord in the early twentieth century [source: Bryant's Norfolk Churches].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

John le Marshall was lord of Marshalls manor in 1276; his widow Avise was lady in 1314. \r\nGrays manor was owned in thirteenth century by the Bardolph family and subsequently by Sir Henry de Grey and his wife, who was a Bardolph before marriage. Thomas de Felton died in possession of Banham Greys manor in 1380-1; the heirs were his three daughters [IPM 1:15/341]. Blomefield states that the manor of Grays was united with that of Banham Marshalls by Sir Anselm Marshall in 1345.\r\nBeck Hall had many owners in thirteenth century, including John de Bek.\r\nThe three manors were run as one manor, but with separate jurors for the three elements within it, by 1611. It was owned by the Dukes of Norfolk in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries (the Duke of Norfolk is named as lord in the Inclosure Award of 1790, NRO, C/Sce 1/4: it is there regarded as a single manor). The Duke sold the manor to John Odin Taylor in 1872. In the early twentieth century, Athelstan Taylor was lord. [source; Bryant's Norfok Churches]\r\nLast transaction dated: 1865; lord of the manor: Duke of Norfolk; Steward: J.T. Cuddon [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nJ.O. Howard Taylor given as lord of the manor (with Hockham) in White's Trade Directory (1883).

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Thomas, Earl of Arundel, died in possession 1416; heirs his three sisters [IPM 20/656]. Charles Barnwell is given as lord of the manor in 1696 [court book NRO, NRS 24126]. Revd Charles Barnwell Barnwell held his first court in 1825 [minute book NRO, NRS 24129] and is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).
Revd C.B. Barnwell is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Robert de Tony died in possession 1309-10; heir Alice de Layburne his sister. Robert's wife Maud is assigned dower [IPM 5/198]. At an inquisition taken in 1360, Guy de Warwick, son of Thomas, Earl Warwick, was found to have died in possession of the manor, held of the king. Katherine and Elizabeth, his daughters, were heirs [IPM 10/590]. At an inquisition held in 1369, Thomas de Bello Campo, Earl of Warwick, was found to have held the manor. Philippa, the wife of Guy, the earl's son, was heir [IPM 12/303]. Philippa, late wife of Guy de Bello Campo, died in possession, 1384-5; heir Thomas de Bello Campo, Earl of Warwick [IPM 16/94]. Thomas de Bello Campo Earl of Warwick held the reversion of the manor, 1401, which he granted to John de Say, Richard Pyrington and Richard de Brumleigh [IPM 18/300]. The manor was held by the Earl of Warwick during the reigns of Henry VI and Edward IV.
Elizabeth and Catharine Campbell are named as ladies of the manor of Saham Toney in the Ashill Inclosure Award of 1786 [NRO, C/Sce 1/3].
James Cuddon, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).
Thomas D. Calthorp, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.
Last transaction dated: ?; lord of the manor: ?; Steward: ? [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Received by the Norfolk Record Office through the British Records Association in August 1951 (MS 33208).

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Fragments from Court Book of manor of Thornham, 1623-1624, see MS 10623, 26F3. Receipt for tenement and land in Gunthorpe, copyhold of the honour of Clare on the part of Sharrington with the Members bought by John Harwood, 1718, see MS 10619, 26F3.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

5bbeba87-b111-4154-ba74-7a3820800028

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 09/09/2004 by Droip. Modified 05/03/2019 by Catherine.Collins.

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres