Fonds T - Thetford Borough Council Records

Identity area

Reference code



Thetford Borough Council Records


  • 1290-1977 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

641 pieces

Context area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Under the 1858 Local Government Act, Thetford Borough Council assumed the function of the Local Board of Health and held quarterly and special meetings in this capacity. The 1872 Public Health Act abolished Local Boards of Health and replaced with Urban Sanitary Authorities (which were often still known as Local Boards) so Thetford Borough Council automatically took on the function of an Urban Sanitary Authority. These were in turn abolished by legislation in 1894 and Urban District Councils established in their place. Thetford was designated a Municipal Borough but seems for some reason to have decided to act as an Urban District Council. Incorporated in 1574. A Municipal Borough, 1894-1974.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

T/BB Burial Board
T/C Early records, Assembly Minutes, etc.
T/JH Isolation Hospital
T/MC Municipal Charities
T/MH Medical Officer of Health
T/MSC Miscellaneous Items
T/N Thetford Navigation
T/NS Nunnery Site Title Deeds
T/PA Public Analyst
T/QS Quarter Sessions
T/RA Rating Authority
T/S Surveyor and Sanitary Inspector
T/SS Sewerage Scheme
T/SB School Board
T/T Treasurer
T/TC Town Clerk
T/TH Town Hall
T/WM Weights and Measures
T/W Waterworks

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

The following items have been transferred to the Ancient House Museum, White Hart Street, Thetford, on permanent loan: file of general correspondence, circulars, notes on accessions, etc., 1922-1926; file on opening of museum in Dec 1924; general file on the opening of the Duleep Singh collection of portraits, June 1927; general correspondence, 1927-1937, including catalogue of items presented to the Mechanics Institute by W.G. Clarke; volume containing a record of gifts to the Borough of Thetford (mainly to the museum), compiled c 1921, and covering the years 1539-1956; and visitors books, Sep 1931-Nov 1948 and Aug 1953-Aug 1956.
For bailiff's account, 1404-1405, see BCH 2 Dec 1963 no. 16 (published in 'Norfolk Archaeology', 1930, vol. XXIV part I, p. 7).
For 'Thetford MSS 1809' (Transcriptions by George Bird Burrell from various corporation records, 1568-1793. Extracts, mainly from assembly proceedings, relating to the navigation and tolls, the Thetford assizes, the school and hospital charities and other charitable bequests, 1720-1811. List of Thetford corporation, 1812), see MC 965/1.
For MS 'History of the Charities and Legacies given to the Corporation and Town of Thetford' by H.W. Bailey, 1842 (At the end are pasted in letters from the Charity Commission, 1861-1865.), see MS 7456.
For Mr and Mrs Tyrell's almshouse charity: correspondence with and returns to Charity Commission, draft deed of gift of 1886, extracts from minutes, correspondence and accounts, 1886-1913, see T.E. Rudling and Co., 18 November 1971.
A market court roll membrane, Dec 1537-Apr 1538, forms the binding of NRS 24149.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Rules and/or conventions used




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places