Terrington Manor; 1189-1925; Terrington St Clement, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Terrington Manor; 1189-1925; Terrington St Clement, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Bishop of Ely's

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



The manor was held by the Abbot of Ramsey before the conquest and by the early thirteenth century was held by the Bishop of Ely. The Bishop of Ely is one of two lords in Terrington in the Nomina Villarum of 1316 (the other lord being John Howard). At the death of Bishop Cox in 1581 the manor passed to the Crown. William III granted the manor to William Bentinck, Earl of Portland in 1696, and it descended through the family. William Bentinck was named as lord in the Inclosure Award of 1793 [NRO, C/Sce 1/8A].\r\nGeorge Pierrepont Bentinck, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nGeorge William Pierrepont Bentinck, Esq., MP, is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nHenry Bentinck was lord in the early 20th century.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1911; lord of the manor: Henry Aldenburgh Bentinck; Steward: H.R.B. Wayman [TNA, HMC 5/6].


Terrington St Clement, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 22/01/2003 by Droip




F. Blomefield, 'An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk' (11 vols, London, 1805-1810)\r\nW. White, 'History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk, and the City and Cou

Maintenance notes

Proven MDR

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places