Surrey Chapel; 1845-; Christian denomination; Norwich, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Surrey Chapel; 1845-; Christian denomination; Norwich, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1845-

History

Formed as a result of the secession from the Church of England in 1845 of Robert Govett (1813-1901), previously curate of St Stephen's parish, Norwich. The immediate cause was Govett's views on infant baptism. Surrey Chapel was built in 1854 to house the congregation. It was financed and managed principally by Govett himself and in consequence it is not until after his death in 1901 that a Committee was formed and the series of Church Meeting and other minutes begins, though Govett's printed pastoral letters commence as early as 1847. Small mission churches were established at Stoke Holy Cross, Bramerton, Great Moulton, Swardeston, Saxlingham Nethergate, Marlingford and elsewhere.

Places

Norwich, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Free Evangelical

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB/153/NM/9303

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 31/08/2018 by Droip

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places