- 1901-1975 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
After the Local Government Act, 1929, the functions of the Guardians of the Poor were transferred to the public assistance and social welfare committees of county and city councils. The Bowthorpe Road institution, also known as Woodlands Hospital, was the former workhouse with workhouse infirmary and became known as West Norwich Hospital. After reforms of 1946-1948 medical duties became the responsibility of the Ministry of Health's local hospital boards, leaving local authorities to supervise the welfare of children and old people.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 21 January 1976 (numbered N/WE 1/27-40), 21 March 1977 (numbered N/WE 1/41), 14 March 1979 (numbered N/WE 1/42-45), 23 July 1979 (numbered N/WE 1/46-90), 27 October 1980 (numbered N/WE 1/91), 26 March 1982 (numbered N/WE 1/92), 2 December 1992 (numbered N/WE 1/93), 8 December 1976 (numbered N/WE 3/1-31) and (numbered N/WE 4/1-3), 30 May and 13 June 1968 (numbered N/WE 5/1). N/WE 1/1-26 and N/WE 3/1-6 were deposited on unknown dates.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Bowthorpe Road Poor Law Institute; West Norwich Hospital; General Administration; Scattered Homes; Boarding Out Committee; Register of Blind Persons; Citizens Advice Bureau.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 04/08/2003 by Droip. Modified 17/07/2019 by Droip.