Seamans, later known as Virginia House, was held copyhold of Foulsham manor. Bought by Robert Woods and left in his will of 1870 to Susan E. Purdy who was admitted in October 1873 (she also had Hill House - later to RJWP). At her death unmarried in 1905 it passed to her brother RJWP (heir to Woods's main estate) who came to live in Foulsham at around this time (Woodgate House in Aylsham was let). It was still owned by his son Col. Tom Purdy at the time of the 1938 family settlement. In the 1930s, it was occupied by the vet Arthur Woodhouse and before that at the 1911 census his father Herbert Woodhouse was in it - he also was a vet.\r\n\r\nThe Purdy papers give previous occupiers as John Powell and before him Henry May Waller. Waller was there on the tithe apportionment and map as owner and occupier. The land behind it, shown as occupied by Waller, was part of the property description in the 1873 admission: 3.5r. in 2 pieces. The 1873 description includes a shop in the property.\r\n\r\nAccording to a poll book, Henry Waller had it in 1844. But in 1868 he was voting on East Dereham property, where he shows in the censuses of both 1851 and 1861 as a commission agent. This narrows down the likely range of purchase dates by Woods to 1844-1851. John Powell, a tailor and draper, was in Foulsham in 1851 and 1861 and the place in the census sequence suggests Virginia House. He does not appear in the poll books as an owner.\r\n\r\nThe date when it was sold by the Purdy family is unknown, but the disposal of the estate from the 1940s onwards was piecemeal.