Fonds MC 3052 - Sale particulars and title deeds relating to various estates in Norfolk

Identity area

Reference code

MC 3052

Title

Sale particulars and title deeds relating to various estates in Norfolk

Date(s)

  • 1586-2007 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

3 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

Name of creator

(?-1729)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(fl 1895)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1797-)

Administrative history

Founded in 1797 in Norwich, when 36-year-old merchant and banker Thomas Bignold formed the "Norwich Union Society for the Insurance of Houses, Stock and Merchandise from Fire", a mutual society owned by the policyholders who received a share of the profits. This in turn became known as the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Office. In 1808 Thomas Bignold established a second mutual, the Norwich Union Life Insurance Society.

Name of creator

(1935-)

Administrative history

Norwich City Council it took over the running of the theatre in 1967 (see 'Eastern Evening News', 17 May 1967). Prior to this date the lease of the theatre had been held by Essoldo Circuit (Control) Ltd.

Name of creator

(1894-)

Administrative history

Run by Norfolk Museum and Archaeology Service.

Name of creator

(1965-1981)

Administrative history

Known as Norwich Training College until 1965.

Name of creator

(1770-)

Administrative history

Jarrold and Sons Ltd grew out of a grocer's and draper's business established in Woodbridge, Suffolk, by John Jarrold I in around 1770. Some years after his death his son, John Jarrold II, took over his father's premises, moving to London Street in Norwich in 1823, to set up as a printer, bookseller and stationer.
John Jarrold II's children John III, Samuel, William Pightling and Thomas took over the business after their father's death and the business was expanded, particularly the printing and publishing arms. The firm became known for publishing religious and temperance works, as well as novels such as 'Black Beauty'. A London office was opened in 1847.
In 1875, the company moved to St James' Mill, originally built in 1839 for the manufacture of yarn. Towards the end of the nineteenth century, branches were opened in Great Yarmouth, Cromer, Sheringham, Lowestoft and Cambridge. A furniture branch in Wymondham followed in the late twentieth century on the acquisition of Jacksons.
A public limited company was formed in 1902 and the printing works moved to Cowgate. The printing and publishing divisions began to operate from the St James Mill site in the early twentieth century. In 1921, the London publishing business was sold by the then chairman, Samuel Jarrold's son William, although the company continued to publish from Norwich throughout the twentieth century, concentrating on calendars and works on tourism and travel. The directorship of William's nephew Herbert John Jarrold saw a period of innovation in the printing side of the firm, which included the introduction of the first large four-colour printing machine in Europe in 1948.
The printing and publishing divisions were finally sold in 2007 and the company began to concentrate on Retail, Property, Training and Facilities Management.

Archival history

These records were once in custody of Suffolk Record Office.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 14 March 2014 (ACC 2013/358). This draft collection level description was added to NRO catalogue on 20 March 2014 (JD).

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Also includes some photographs and Norfolk related ephemera of unknown provenance.
Box 1
Part of sale particular and manuscript note relating to property on Beaconsfield Road, Norwich, 1902. Once in custody of Leathes, Prior and Son, solicitors of Norwich.
Sale particular, including map, relating to property in Ditchingham and Bungay, Suffolk, 1900. Once in custody of Martin and Buckton, solicitors of Bungay.
Probate copy of will of William Lucock of Southrepps, 1729; title deeds relating to property in parish of St Andrew, Norwich, 1813-1849.
Title deeds relating to property in Newton Flotman, 1586-1665. More information about these documents is filed with accession paperwork.
Assorted ephemera of unknown provenance, including Theatre Royal Norwich programmes, 1942-4, 1973; programme for National Conference of the Association of Round Tables held at Britannia Pier, Great Yarmouth, 1951; Cromer guide book, guides to Norwich Union building in Norwich; prospectus of Keswick Hall College of Education, 1973; catalogue of Lowry exhibition at Norwich Castle Museum, 1970; published items relating to Cromer, the Norfolk coast, Hunstanton, Norwich castle keep, and short history of Jarrold and Sons Ltd; several orders of service. More information about these documents is filed with accession paperwork.
Programme for opening and dedication of memorial at Mundesley on Sea to memory of Royal Engineer disposal personnel who lost their lives, 1944-1953. More information about this document is filed with accession paperwork.
Box 2
Sale particulars relating to property in the following locations for the dates shown in brackets: St Olaves, 1936-2005; Gillingham, 1917-2005; Aldeby, 2000-5; Geldeston, 1913-2005; Gorleston, 1996-2001; Broome, 1933-2001; Ellingham, 1901-98; Burgh St Peter, 2002; Kirby Cane, 1911-2007; Bedingham, 1997; Langley, 1946; Redenhall, 1986-2001; Rollesby Hall contents, 1995; Toft Monks, 1923-2003; Wheatacre, 1993-9; Royal Naval Hospital in Great Yarmouth, 1997; Wortwell, 1996-7; Ditchingham, 1922-2005; Earsham, 1912-98; Haddiscoe, 1912-2000; and Topcroft, 1935-98. Also includes sale particular for autumn sale of horses, in Norwich, by Suffolk Horse Society, 1938. Content of box 2 were once in custody of Lowestoft reference library. More information about these documents is filed with accession paperwork.
Box 3
Sale particular for farm at Alburgh, 1902, and house with outbuildings at Redenhall, 1895. Both sale particulars were once in custody of Lowestoft reference library. More information about these documents is filed with accession paperwork.
Photograph of Gustav Lee of Great Yarmouth, circa 1895, and large composite photograph of members and officers of Great Yarmouth Corporation, 1906-7. Both photographs were once in custody of Holland family of Lowestoft.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

To consult these records, order in NRO searchroom using accession number ACC 2013/358.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Uncatalogued

Sources

Accession area