Series KL/C 2 - Royal Charters and Letters Patent

Identity area

Reference code

KL/C 2


Royal Charters and Letters Patent


  • 1204-1737 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

62 pieces

Context area

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Charter of King John, 1204, and subsequent royal charters of confirmation and of additional rights, including incorporation, 1524, change of name from Lynn Bishop to King's Lynn, 1537, and the annexation of South Lynn to the borough, 1555 and 1557.

Also includes two charters to the monks of Bury St Edmunds, 11th century (purporting to be of King Cnut, c.1021 but written in the 1080s), and 12th-century, but purporting to be of King Hardecnut, c.1040, believed to have been acquired by the Corporation with deeds to gild land which once belonged to Bury St Edmunds Abbey.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Photographic copies are available of the following charters and letters patent and will be produced in place of the originals: KL/C 2/1-15, 17, 18, 20-23, 26, 28-32, 35, 37, 39-41, 43, 45-59, 61, 62; and KL/C 4/1-4, 15.

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 03/06/2003 by Droip. Modified 08/03/2018 by Luke.Shackell.


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places