- 1204-1737 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Charter of King John, 1204, and subsequent royal charters of confirmation and of additional rights, including incorporation, 1524, change of name from Lynn Bishop to King's Lynn, 1537, and the annexation of South Lynn to the borough, 1555 and 1557.
Also includes two charters to the monks of Bury St Edmunds, 11th century (purporting to be of King Cnut, c.1021 but written in the 1080s), and 12th-century, but purporting to be of King Hardecnut, c.1040, believed to have been acquired by the Corporation with deeds to gild land which once belonged to Bury St Edmunds Abbey.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Photographic copies are available of the following charters and letters patent and will be produced in place of the originals: KL/C 2/1-15, 17, 18, 20-23, 26, 28-32, 35, 37, 39-41, 43, 45-59, 61, 62; and KL/C 4/1-4, 15.
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 03/06/2003 by Droip. Modified 08/03/2018 by Luke.Shackell.