File EVL 723 - Quit rentals for the manors of: Lyng, 1798-1815; Morley Hall, 1813-1815 (draft); and Scarning Hall, Drayton Hall, Northern Hall, 1855-1871.

Identity area

Reference code

EVL 723

Title

Quit rentals for the manors of: Lyng, 1798-1815; Morley Hall, 1813-1815 (draft); and Scarning Hall, Drayton Hall, Northern Hall, 1855-1871.

Date(s)

  • 1798-1871 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

1 volume

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The court books record lords as Richard Anguish, first court 1620; Thomas Anguish occurs 1643, 1650; Henry Balie held his first court in 1656 and John Repps his first court in 1657. Nicholas Repps, Doctor of Divinty, held his first court in 1681. According to Carthew, the manor was sold by the Repps family to Richard Warner in 1709: under Warner's will it came to his son-in-law John Conyers of Copt Hall, Essex, later being acquired by John Lombe and descending through the Evans-Lombe family [sources: NRO, EVL 591; Carthew's History of Launditch (1879).
Last transaction dated: 1856; lord of the manor: Charles Lambe; Steward: E.P. Clarke [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Hugh de Cressy died in possession 1262-3; heir son Stephen [IPM 1/559]
Alexander de Clavering is named as lord in the Nomina Villarum of 1316.
Sir John Lombe is named as lord of the manor, with right of soil, in the Inclosure Award of 1810 [NRO, C/Sca 2/19].
Edward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).
Revd H.E. Lombe is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.
Last transaction dated: 1901; lord of the manor: Edward Henry Evans-Lombe; Steward: Francis Horner [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The lord of the manor is given as John Browne in 1807 and in 1823 Rev James Stoughton Clerk and Thomas Church.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The court books record Richard Hoo as lord in 1621and 1625; Francis Neve in 1630 and 1642; Oliver [le] Neve in 1672. In 1679 John Norris held his first court as executor of the will of Oliver Neve, deceased. Revd Humphrey Prideaux, Dean of Norwich Cathedral, held his first court in 1704. Richard Warner occurs as lord in 1708 and again in 1750, John Conyers in 1752 and 1762. In 1770, John Lombe, later Sir John, became lord and the manor descended in the Evans-Lombe family.
Some parts of this manor belonged to Wendling Abbey before the Dissolution. Rougholme relates to parts of the estate of Rougholme chapel, which was in Gressenhall parish, and was dissolved at the Reformation: that part within Gressenhall became the separate manor of Rougholme.
Last transaction dated: 1875; lord of the manor: Revd Henry Lombe; Steward: Charles Hornor [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

A broken volume with cover boards used as a file for loose items. Spine marked 'Rentals'.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Description control area

Description identifier

a52e4bd5-fa10-40c9-960e-db56c1429c32

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 19/07/2013 by Droip. Modified 15/08/2013 by Droip.

Sources

Accession area