File EVL 725 - Quit rental for the manors of: Foxley with Bawdeswell; Bawdeswell late Beales; Beetley; Billingford Waffins; Bylaugh with the members; Drayton Hall; Eccles next the Sea; Heymers in Hoe; Hoe Harfords with Hoe Becks and Safferys otherwise Sowters; Lyng; Melton Magna Hacons and Melton Magna Peverells; Northern Hall; Scarning Hall; Swanton Morley with Worthing; Wadkers in Wymondham; Whitwell late Symonds; Witlingham; Kirby Bedon; Fastolfs on the part of Repps with Bastwick; Owby on the part of Repps with Bastwick.

Identity area

Reference code

EVL 725

Title

Quit rental for the manors of: Foxley with Bawdeswell; Bawdeswell late Beales; Beetley; Billingford Waffins; Bylaugh with the members; Drayton Hall; Eccles next the Sea; Heymers in Hoe; Hoe Harfords with Hoe Becks and Safferys otherwise Sowters; Lyng; Melton Magna Hacons and Melton Magna Peverells; Northern Hall; Scarning Hall; Swanton Morley with Worthing; Wadkers in Wymondham; Whitwell late Symonds; Witlingham; Kirby Bedon; Fastolfs on the part of Repps with Bastwick; Owby on the part of Repps with Bastwick.

Date(s)

  • 1847-1848 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

1 volume

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Sir John Lombe is named as lord of the manor of Bawdeswell with Beales (and three other manors), with right of soil, in the Bawdeswell Inclosure Award of 1810 [C/Sca 2/19].\r\nEdward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845). A rental of 1847 indicates the manor includes part of the estate of Foxley School [founded in 1728 for boys of Foxley and Bawdeswell] [NRO, EVL 725]. The MAF's list of known manors, compiled in 1925, does not provide any details about transactions or tenure [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nA rental of 1847 indicates the manor includes part of the estate of Foxley School [founded in 1728 for boys of Foxley and Bawdeswell] [NRO, EVL 725].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

A manor of the Bishop of Norwich, taken from the bishopric and vested in the King, 1535. Edward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845). The MAF's list of known manors, compiled in 1925 gives the last transaction as dated 1870; no information given re lord or steward [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Inquisitions Post Mortem provide information about the tenant-in-chief of the manor: Theobald le Butler died in possession 1248-9: heir unnamed [IPM 1:1/153]. Edmund de Pakenham died in possession 1351-2; his heir was his son Thomas [IPM 1:9/641].\r\nSir John Lombe is named as lord of the manor of Bylaugh with the Members (and three other manors), with right of soil, in the Bawdeswell Inclosure Award of 1810 [NRO, C/Sca 2/19].\r\nEdward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845). Reverend Henry Evans Lombe is the given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1883). Last transaction dated: 1857; lord of the manor: Charles Lombe; Steward: E.P. Clark [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The court books record lords as Richard Anguish, first court 1620; Thomas Anguish occurs 1643, 1650; Henry Balie held his first court in 1656 and John Repps his first court in 1657. Nicholas Repps, Doctor of Divinty, held his first court in 1681. According to Carthew, the manor was sold by the Repps family to Richard Warner in 1709: under Warner's will it came to his son-in-law John Conyers of Copt Hall, Essex, later being acquired by John Lombe and descending through the Evans-Lombe family [sources: NRO, EVL 591; Carthew's History of Launditch (1879).
Last transaction dated: 1856; lord of the manor: Charles Lambe; Steward: E.P. Clarke [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Edward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845). \r\nFor the history of the manor to the early eighteenth century, see F. Blomefield, 'An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk' (11 vols, London, 1805-10).

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Surviving records name the following as lords:\r\nFirst court of Juliana Clippesby 1594 [EVL 573]\r\nFirst court of Clippesby Crewe son and heir of Rannulph Crewe 1646 [EVL 575]\r\nFirst court of Rannulph Crewe 1653 [EVL 575] \r\nBryant says the Evans-Lombe family purchased the manor in 1685, confirmed by the title deeds which name the vendor as Sir Roger Potts [EVL 306a, 307]. Family members as lords include Edward Lombe (occurs 1727); Revd John Lombe (occurs 1738-1744); Mary Hase wife of John Hase (occurs 1750-1758); Mary Hase widow of John Hase (occurs 1761-1768), [the Hases are family members, Mary Hase being Mary Lombe before her marriage]; John Lombe (occurs 1771, 1778); Sir John Lombe (occurs 1801) [EVL 578]. Sir John Lombe is named as lord of both manors in Repps - Fastolfes on the part of Repps with Bastwick; Owby on the part of Repps with Bastwick - in the enclosure award of 1809 [C/Sca 2/223]. Trade directories name Edward Lombe, Esq. as lord in 1845, Revd. H.E. Lombe as lord in1883, Edward Evans-Lombe as lord in 1900. They are described as lords of the manor of Repps with Bastwick, but the court books show that separate courts are still being held for the two manors. \r\nBlomefield's statement that the manor was held of the Bishop of Norwich in 1611 (which Bryant copies) does not appear to be correct

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The earl of Pembroke died in possession of Foxley 1323-5; his heir was John Hastings [IPM 1:6/518]. Mary, Countess of Pembroke, died in possession 1377 [IPM 1:14/339]. John de Hastings, late Earl of Pembroke, died in possession, holding of the Honour of Richmond, 1389-90 [IPM 1:16/875]. An inquisition of 1389-90 found that the Earl of Pembroke had previously held the manor [and other manors], holding of the earl of Richmond, which had been dower of his wife Anne: the manors had been taken into the King's hands on her death because her heir was a minor [IPM 1:16/899].\r\nSir John Lombe is named as lord of the manor of Foxley with Bawdeswell in the Bawdeswell Inclosure Award of 1810 [C/Sca 2/19}, and in the Foxley Inclosure Award of 1815 [NRO, C/Sca 2/120]. Edward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nLast transaction dated: 1857; lord of the manor: Charles Lombe; Steward: E.P. Clarke [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nA rental of 1847 shows the manor to include the 'Hare and Hounds' inn [in Foxley] and the Free School [founded in 1728 for boys of Foxley and Bawdeswell] [NRO, EVL 725].\r\nA rental of 1847 shows the manor to include the 'Hare and Hounds' inn [in Foxley] and the Free School [founded in 1728 for boys of Foxley and Bawdeswell] [NRO, EVL 725].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

TAKEN FROM BLOMEFIELD: Which Edwin, a thane of the Confessor's, held in his time, when there were two carucates of land in demean, ix. villeins, v. bordars, and iiii. servants; wood sufficient to keep lx. swine, lx. sheep, iii. hives of bees, &c. the whole of the manor being then worth 6l. and at the Conquest 7l. The King and the Earl of Norfolk, had the soc or superiour jurisdiction, and Godric the sewer then held it. It soon came into the hands of the Meltons of Great Melton, and Thomas de Melton Magna had it; his son Jeffry succeeded, and his son William was rector here, patron, and lord, in 1199; and Thomas Fitz-Walter, released it to him as 2 carucates of land in 1200; and in 1205 Rob. Hacun had bought it, and settled it on Ric. Hacun, it being then held at half a fee; and in 1219, Hubert, son of Ric. Hacun had it, and was then under age, and in the custody of Hubert de Montchensy, of whose barony it was always held; in 1229, Hubert granted to Robert son of Thomas Hacun, lands here, and to Simon son of Herbert de Hetherset, the homage of Anastatia, daughter of Bartholomew of Melton Magna, and her free tenement; in 1240, Will. de Muntchensy, capital lord of the fee, and patron, resided here; in 1267, Hubert Hakun, then lord, hindered his tenants paying to the Earl's or sheriff's turn, or hundred court, for which he was impleaded by the Crown; but on paying the King 4s. 7d. per annum he had a lete and view of frankpledge allowed to this manor, and free-warren, and so became exempt from the hundred court. This was allowed in Eire in 1274, and 1284; at which time, Ric. Hacun, then lord, acknowledged that he held the whole fee, and all liberties thereto belonging, of William de Muntchensy, his capital lord: and now the lete of Melton was held in the name of the said William, and in 1285, Simon, son of Hubert Hacon, and Anne his wife, conveyed to William, son of Warine de Montchensie, capital lord of the fee, the advowson of St. Mary, the lete, and the moiety of the churchyard, containing 1 acre; and the same year a fine was levied between John son of John de Bohun, and Ric. son of Hubert Hacon, and Anne his wife, by which the 4th part of Ofton manor in Suffolk was settled on John; and in 1290, John Hacon of Shouldham and Anne his wife. Hubert son of John Hacon and Katherine his wife, conveyed many lands here to Simon of Hetherset; and in 1302, Hubert son of Sir Richard Hacun, Knt. had the manor only, out of which he granted 6s. 8d. per annum, to the said Simon; for Hugh de Vere and Dionise his wife had the lete and advowson, and held it as part of the fees of Rob. de Tateshall, which Thomas de Caily then had. In 1312, they settled them by fine on Gilbert Baliol, and Katherine his wife, who were found in 1315, to hold them, as Hubert Hacon did the manor. In 1318, Ric. Hacun of Great Melton married Anne, second daughter of Roger, and sister and coheir of Ric. Loveday of Great Brisete in Suffolk, and in 1320, Hubert his father settled this manor on him after his own death, which happened about 1323, for then Hubert's heirs had it. In 1345, Ric. Hacun held it with Brisete Magna in Suffolk, which he had of his wife's inheritance, and in 1360 he was lord here. In 1342, Gilbert Baliol conveyed the advowson and lete, &c. to Sir Richard Talbot, who presented in 1347, in which family it continued till lately, as the several presentations show, to which I refer you. The manor continued in the Hacons; for in 1432, Will. Hacon of Ipswich, and Margaret his wife conveyed it to John Hacon of Wyveton, whose son Thomas of Cley in Norfolk, in 1450, sold it to Robert Toppe, merchant and alderman of Norwich, who died in 1467; and his son Robert of Great Melton in 1487, gave the manor and his whole estate, to Sir Gregory Lovell, Knt. his nephew, and to Anne Lovell, his sister, and to John Toppe, his bastard son, divers legacies; and it continued in that family till 1534, (see vol. i. p. 323,) and then Thomas Lovell, Knt. and Eleanor his wife, settled it on Ambrose Wolley, and in 1557, Roger Woodhouse, Knt. settled it on Henry Drury, as trustees only to the Lovells, from which family it went to Edward Downes of Melton, Esq. who married Katherine, daughter of Sir Thomas Lovell of Herling, Knt. relict of Sir Thomas Knevet of Bukenham, and of Edward Spring, Esq. in which family it became joined to, and remained with,
From: 'Hundred of Humble-Yard: Great-Melton', An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 5 (1806), pp. 12-22. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=78145&strquery=hacon Date accessed: 12 July 2013.
Edward Lombe is named as lord of the two manors of Great Melton Hacons and Great Melton Peverels in the Inclosure Award of 1826 [C/Sca 2/195].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The Attechurch family were lords in the 14th century [scource: NRO, LEST/2/24]. Edward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor (Hoe) in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nLast transaction dated: ?; lord of the manor: ?; Steward: ? [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

A rental of 1847 shows the manor to include the Gun Inn in East Dereham and a malthouse there belonging to the Children's Hospital in Norwich [NRO, EVL 725]\r\nEdward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor (Hoe) in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nRevd Henry E. Lombe is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1857; lord of the manor: Charles Lambe; Steward: E.P. Clarke [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

H.J. Stracey, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nJ.B. Coakes is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Hugh de Cressy died in possession 1262-3; heir son Stephen [IPM 1/559]
Alexander de Clavering is named as lord in the Nomina Villarum of 1316.
Sir John Lombe is named as lord of the manor, with right of soil, in the Inclosure Award of 1810 [NRO, C/Sca 2/19].
Edward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).
Revd H.E. Lombe is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.
Last transaction dated: 1901; lord of the manor: Edward Henry Evans-Lombe; Steward: Francis Horner [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The court books record Richard Hoo as lord in 1621and 1625; Francis Neve in 1630 and 1642; Oliver [le] Neve in 1672. In 1679 John Norris held his first court as executor of the will of Oliver Neve, deceased. Revd Humphrey Prideaux, Dean of Norwich Cathedral, held his first court in 1704. Richard Warner occurs as lord in 1708 and again in 1750, John Conyers in 1752 and 1762. In 1770, John Lombe, later Sir John, became lord and the manor descended in the Evans-Lombe family.
Some parts of this manor belonged to Wendling Abbey before the Dissolution. Rougholme relates to parts of the estate of Rougholme chapel, which was in Gressenhall parish, and was dissolved at the Reformation: that part within Gressenhall became the separate manor of Rougholme.
Last transaction dated: 1875; lord of the manor: Revd Henry Lombe; Steward: Charles Hornor [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

First court of Juliana Clippesby 1594 [EVL 573]\r\nFirst court of Clippesby Crewe son and heir of Rannulph Crewe 1646 [EVL 574]\r\nFirst court of Clippesby Crewe son of John Crewe 1649 [EVL 574] \r\nBryant says the Evans-Lombe family purchased the manor in 1685, confirmed by the title deeds which name the vendor as Sir Roger Potts [EVL 306a, 307]. Family members as lords include Edward Lombe (occurs 1727); Revd John Lombe (occurs 1738-1744); Mary Hase wife of John Hase (occurs 1750-1758); Mary Hase widow of John Hase (occurs 1761-1768), [the Hases are family members, Mary Hase being Mary Lombe before her marriage]; John Lombe (occurs 1771, 1778); Sir John Lombe (occurs 1801) [EVL 578]. Sir John Lombe is named as lord of both manors in Repps - Fastolfes on the part of Repps with Bastwick; Owby on the part of Repps with Bastwick - in the enclosure award of 1809 [C/Sca 2/223]. Trade directories name Edward Lombe, Esq. as lord in 1845, Revd H.E. Lombe as lord in1883, Edward Evans-Lombe as lord in 1900. They are described as lords of the manor of Repps with Bastwick, but the court books show that separate courts are still being held for the two manors.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

John Peverel died in possession 1334-5, manor includes rents in Swainsthorpe; heir Hugh Peverel [IPM 5/529].\r\nEdward Lombe is named as lord of the two manors of Great Melton Hacons and Great Melton Peverels in the Inclosure Award of 1826 [NRO, C/Sca 2/195].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Sir Roger Townshend occurs as lord in 1577 and 1588, Edward Anguish in 1597. Another Edward Anguish holds his first court in 1628 as son and heir of Richard Anguish; Edmund Anguish holds first court in 1652; Nicholas Repps, Doctor of Divinity occurs as lord in 1681. Later owned by Richard Warner, and subsequently by the Lombe, later Evans-Lombe family. Edward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).
Revd Henry E. Lombe, BA, is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.
Last transaction dated: 1856; lord of the manor: Charles Lambe; Steward: E.P. Clarke [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Aline Mareschal died in possession c.1265-6; heir her son John [IPM 1/688]. Lady Hawis le Mareschal is one of three named as lords or ladies of mMorley in the Nomina Villarum of 1316, the others being Robert de Morley and the Prior of Bromholme. Robert de Morley died in possession 1360-1; heir his son William de Morley [IPM 10/634]. William de Morley died in possession 1378-9 [IPM 15/126]. Cecily, late wife of Sir William de Morley, died in possession of a third part of the manor, 1386-7 [IPM 16/418]. Thomas de Morley, infant, died 20 July 1401 [IPM 20/596]. At an inquisition taken in 1489, Henry Lovell, Lord Morley, was found to have been in possession of the manor, holding it of the king. Alice was his daughter and heir [IPM H7 1/212]. \r\nEdward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845). The 'ancient lords' were the Beaufoes, Morles and Parkers.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1862; lord of the manor: Revd Edward Lombe; Steward: G.P. Clarke [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nRevd H.E. Lombe is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Sir John Lombe is named as lord of the manor of Whitwell late Symonds (and three other manors), with right of soil, in the Bawdeswell Inclosure Award of 1810 [NRO, C/Sca 2/19].\r\nLast transaction dated: 1921; lord of the manor: William Robert Collyer; Steward: F.W.P. Marriott [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

For most of its history, this is a member of the manor of Whitlingham Wadkers, which see. It is occasionally treated as a separate manor with its own records, for example in the 19th century when it was owned by the Evans-Lombe family [NRO, EVL 725]\r\nOne of the 13 manors in Wymondham mentioned in the Inclosure Act/Award of 1806-1810; Dr John Beevor is named as lord in the Act of 1806 [NRO, C/Sca2/345; MC 2907/14].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Last transaction dated: 1862; lord of the manor: Reverend Edward Lombe; Steward: E.P. Clarke [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

That part which lay within the parish of Wymondham was sometimes known as Wymondham Wadkers.
Roger son of Peter son of Osbert, died in possession 1305-6; heirs his sister Isabel Jernegan and nephew John le Nuiun [IPM 4/392]. IPM of 1339: Katherine late the wife of Roger son of Peter son of Osbert died holding for life of the inheritance of Peter jernegan and John Nugoun: they are her heirs [IPM 8/160]. An inquisition held in 1491 found that John Copildik had been in possession of the manor, holding it of the heirs of the Duke of Norfolk. William was his son and heir.
Samuel Warburton was lord of the manor in 1769, John Beevor from 1774. Edward Lombe, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).
That part within Wymondham is sometimes treated as a separate manor rather than a member of the main manor.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Description control area

Description identifier

682d6513-0b22-47b3-b7c9-ab611943e175

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 18/07/2013 by Droip. Modified 15/08/2013 by Droip.

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places