Plant Breeding Institute; 1912-1994; Norwich, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Plant Breeding Institute; 1912-1994; Norwich, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1912-1994

History

The Plant Breeding Institute was established in 1912, within the Cambridge University School of Agriculture. In 1948, it was established as an Agricultural Research Council institute, which resulted in it severing its links to Cambridge University. In 1955, it moved from the University farm to Trumpington, Cambridgeshire. In 1987, the non-privatised part of the PBI was integrated into the Institute of Plant Science Research, which included the John Innes Institute and the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory in Sussex. In 1990, the majority of the PBI's scientific staff were relocated to newly built facilities at the John Innes Institute. Directors of the Institute include Sir Rowland Biffen, H. Hunter, G.D.H. Bell, and Sir Ralph Riley.\r\nAmalgamated with the John Innes Institute and the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory to form the John Innes Centre in 1994.

Places

Norwich, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB/153/NM/9418

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 28/09/2018 by Droip

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places