- 20th century (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Cultural cinema situated in St Andrew’s Street, Norwich. Building owned by Norwich City Council and the charity Cinema City Ltd (known as Norfolk and Norwich Film Theatre Ltd until it changed its name in August, 2014) manages the site.
The cinema occupies Suckling House (part of which was a medieval merchant’s house and named after the Suckling family who owned it in the sixteenth century) and Stuart Hall, built on its east side, 1925.
The cinema opened at Suckling Hall in April 1978 and seated about 230 people. It was renovated extensively in 1981 when a new projection box, stairs and box office were added. At this time the Great Hall became a bar area.
Temporarily located at the Norwich Playhouse from 2004 so that its original premises could be rebuilt as a three-screen cinema which was partly funded by the Arts Council. Re-opened at St Andrew’s Street, 2007.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 29 July 2019 (ACC 2019/78).
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Includes plans of Stuart Hall and Suckling house buildings, St Andrew's Street, Norwich.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Some may be copies of Norwich City Architects' and Boardman's plans. Further appraisal may be needed on cataloguing.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Mostly in fair condition. Some plans have tears and worn edges etc.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 29/07/2019 HV