- 1920, 1928 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Born at Barnham Broom Rectory. FRIBA.
The plans were retained by the vicar, Revd Paul Cleave. After the death of Revd Cleave and his wife, the plans were re-discovered by his daughter and were returned to the church in 2006.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Comprises plan, sections and elevations for suggested alterations to the east end of the church, architect John Page of Fakenham, scale 1 inch: 4 feet, 1920; plan, sections and elevations of proposed new sanctuary, architect Cecil Upcher, scale 1/8th inch: 1 foot, 1928.
Following the First World War, money was raised (probably originally as a war memorial) to improve the east end of the church, the chancel having been removed at some point between 1831 and 1870. Most of the money came from Sir Alfred Jodrell of Letheringsett, but the parishioners objected to the rood screen which was included in the plans drawn up in 1920. Eventually, Jodrell suggested that a romanesque thatched apse should be added to the church, and that it should be bow shaped to accommodate the memorial window which had been inserted at the east end during the 1870s restoration of the church. Plans were accordingly drawn up by the architect, Cecil Upcher.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The 1920 plan is quite severely torn. Placed into polyester sleeves 5 Dec 2008.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 12/04/2007 by Drojr. Modified 24/12/2018 by Droip.