File MC 355/1 - Photographic copy of map of Norwich showing tramways system

Identity area

Reference code

MC 355/1

Title

Photographic copy of map of Norwich showing tramways system

Date(s)

  • Feb 1899 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

1 paper

Context area

Name of creator

Name of creator

(1770-)

Administrative history

Jarrold and Sons Ltd grew out of a grocer's and draper's business established in Woodbridge, Suffolk, by John Jarrold I in around 1770. Some years after his death his son, John Jarrold II, took over his father's premises, moving to London Street in Norwich in 1823, to set up as a printer, bookseller and stationer.
John Jarrold II's children John III, Samuel, William Pightling and Thomas took over the business after their father's death and the business was expanded, particularly the printing and publishing arms. The firm became known for publishing religious and temperance works, as well as novels such as 'Black Beauty'. A London office was opened in 1847.
In 1875, the company moved to St James' Mill, originally built in 1839 for the manufacture of yarn. Towards the end of the nineteenth century, branches were opened in Great Yarmouth, Cromer, Sheringham, Lowestoft and Cambridge. A furniture branch in Wymondham followed in the late twentieth century on the acquisition of Jacksons.
A public limited company was formed in 1902 and the printing works moved to Cowgate. The printing and publishing divisions began to operate from the St James Mill site in the early twentieth century. In 1921, the London publishing business was sold by the then chairman, Samuel Jarrold's son William, although the company continued to publish from Norwich throughout the twentieth century, concentrating on calendars and works on tourism and travel. The directorship of William's nephew Herbert John Jarrold saw a period of innovation in the printing side of the firm, which included the introduction of the first large four-colour printing machine in Europe in 1948.
The printing and publishing divisions were finally sold in 2007 and the company began to concentrate on Retail, Property, Training and Facilities Management.

Archival history

The depositor states that the original map was found by another person in a shed at the back of the tramways station in Silver Road (which appears on the map). He obtained permission to have this copy made by the Post Office Drawing Office for the Home Counties at Reading but does not know the present location of the original.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Base map printed by Jarrold and Sons and details added by A.E. Collins, City Engineer, including note that 'Some part of the Boundary between the City and County as shown on this Map is in dispute'. The tramways were coloured red on the original map but appear as black lines running down the middle of certain roads on this copy. Scale: approx. 430 ft. to 1 inch

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

See BR 221 for records of Norwich Tramways Co., later Norwich Omnibus Co.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Sources

Accession area