File ETN 6/12/43 - Photograph album

Identity area

Reference code

ETN 6/12/43

Title

Photograph album

Date(s)

  • c 1894-1896 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

1 volume

Context area

Name of creator

(1903-1999)

Administrative history

The practice was started in c 1788 by John Steward (1766-1829). According to a typescript history of the firm, written by Tom Eaton in 1974 (see MC 1113/2, 805X7), John Steward's name first appears in the 1801 'Norwich Directory', where he is given as an attorney-at-law and his address is given as Upper Heigham. John Steward was an alderman for the Conesford Ward in 1807, Sheriff of Norfolk in 1808 and Mayor of Norwich in 1810. The typescript also records that John Steward's offices were at one time located on Bank Street, Norwich, before they moved to King Street House in Upper King Street, Norwich, where the firm practised until 1922. Following his death on 11 October 1829, John Steward was succeeded in his business by his third son, Edward Steward (c 1807-1874) alias 'the boy alderman'. Edward's first wife was Charlotte (née Fisher) and the practice was known for a time as Steward and Fisher. Edward Steward was admitted as a freeman of Norwich in 1827 and was Sheriff of Norfolk in 1833. Edward and Charlotte had three daughters one of whom, Helen Maria, married Walter Overbury who subsequently became Edward Steward's partner and suceeded to the business in 1874 following Edward Steward's death. Walter Overbury subsequently went into partnership with John Wilson Gilbert and the practice then became known as Overbury and Gilbert. In 1891 Walter Overbury disolved partnership with John Wilson Gilbert and entered into partnership with his brother-in-law, Campbell Steward (c 1863 -1917), the youngest child of Edward Steward and his second wife, Sarah (née Taylor). Walter Overbury and Campbell Steward practiced at King Street House under the name of Overbury and Steward. In 1898 when Frederic Ray Eaton (1874-1962), who had been articled to Campbell Steward, qualified as a solicitor, Walter Overbury, Cambbell Steward and Frederic Eaton entered into an agreement by which the last (Frederic Eaton) was to go into partnership with the others at a certain date or with the survivor of the others in the event of a previous death. Walter Overbury died in 1903 and the firm became known as Overbury, Steward & Eaton. Frederic Eaton purchased 3 Upper King Street, Norwich from F.W. Colby for £1, 950 in June 1922 and in the same year the office of Overbury, Steward & Eaton moved from King Street House (later demolished) to 3 Upper King Street. Campbell Steward died in 1917 without issue and Frederic Eaton practised alone until 26 March 1948 when his eldest son, Thomas (Tom) Christopher Eaton (1918-2010) entered into partnership with him, having been articled to him from September 1936. Keith Flatman, MA LLB (Cantab) joined the firm as an assistant solicitor from Wisbech on 1 January 1955 and was taken into partnership with Frederic and Tom Eaton on 26 March 1957. Frederic Eaton retired from the firm on 25 March 1962 after 70 years association and died on 30 December 1962. In 1967, Michael Frederick Barten Baker, LLB, who had joined Overbury, Steward & Eaton as an assistant solicitor in 1961, went into Partnership with Tom Eaton. In March 1970, both John Stuart Rushmer and Alan Robert Kefford, LLB, who had been articled to Tom Eaton, were taken into partnership in the firm and in September 1970, Alexander George Munro, MA, LLB (Cantab), joined the firm from Mills & Reeve becoming a partner in March 1971. In July 1974, a branch of Overbury, Steward & Eaton was opened in Wymondham, Norfolk. In c 1999, Ben Keane suceeded Tom Eaton as a senior partner of Overbury, Steward & Eaton. On 6 April 1999, Overbury, Steward & Eaton merged with Woolsey and Woolsey under the new name Overburys (trading name of the partnership Overbury Steward Eaton & Woolsey). Tom Eaton retired as a consultant of the firm in 2005. In January 2006, Overburys purchased Raymond Thompson, solicitors of Diss. Overburys continues to practice to date (August 2012) and is located at 7 Upper King Street, Norwich.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Contains photographs printed from glass plate negatives created by Frederic Eaton. These negatives mainly relate to Frederic Eaton's father, George Clayton Eaton and other family members, taken at Cleveland House. Also includes photographs of friends of the family; staff employed in the house and gardens at Cleveland House; members of staff employed at Overbury, Steward & Eaton, c 1895; Norwich and Norfolk views including views of the city of Norwich from Norwich Castle, St Benet's Abbey, Horning Ferry, views, possibly of Mundesley, Cromer, and Great Yarmouth; photographs of Norwich Castle Keep, c 1896; and Suffolk views including Christchurch Mansion in Ipswich c 1894-1895. Contains brief list of contents at the front of the album. The album also contains annotations by Frederic Eaton, undated [1890s] and Tom Eaton, 1969.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

For papers found loosely inserted and removed from this album , see ETN 6/12/45.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

These photographs are stored within special environmental conditions and need to be acclimatized for 24 hours before material can be produced for consultation. If you wish to view any items which are stored in special conditions, please order them at least 24 hours in advance. For example, if you intend to look at these items at 10.00 a.m. on Friday, the material will need to be ordered by 10.00 a.m. on Thursday. Items required for consultation on a Monday, will need to be ordered by Friday of the previous week.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

For original glass plate negatives, see ETN 6/12/41-42

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

CALM RefNo

ETN/6/12/3/3

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

6b1c23e9-9910-4cbf-ba79-1b9caefee846

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 22/02/2012 by drobf. Modified 22/04/2013 by Drobf.

Sources

Accession area