File NRS 22465, Z56 - Particulars of tenants in various manors

Identity area

Reference code

NRS 22465, Z56

Title

Particulars of tenants in various manors

Date(s)

  • 19th century (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

14 notebooks

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

This manor was the property of the Benedictine Abbey of St Benet (in Horning, Norfolk) from before the Conquest. It belonged to the chamberlain of the Abbey by 1106 and was annexed to the Bishopric of Norwich by exchange in 1535: the Bishop held his first court in 1537. It was then leased to the Rugge family: Robert Rugge, citizen and alderman of Norwich, holding his first court 1539, Francis Rugge holding his first court in 1558. Thomas Rugge occurs as lord in 1623. The manor was leased by the Bishop to Sir William Harbord after he had purchased the other Antingham manors in 1754. In 1800 the family's leasehold interest was converted into a fee simple by purchase [sources: NRO, MS 6015, 6019, 6022; Bryant's Norfolk Churches]. Charles, Lord Suffield held a court in 1920, Victor Alexander Charles, Lord Suffield in 1924.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Thomas Gryme, first court 1577. Gryme owned the four manors of Swafield Bromholme, North Walsham Bromholme, Swafield Boylands and North Walsham Boylands and these manors always passed subsequently to the same owner: at some dates they are treated as four separate manors, at other dates as one manor but with separate jurors for each of the four 'members': North Walsham Lyngate is often included as a fifth 'member'.\r\nJohn Rant occurs as lord in 1609 and the manors remained in the Rant family until at least 1719. At a later date they were ownd by the Harbord family of Gunton Hall.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Owned by Cluniac Priory of Bromholme (in Bacton parish, Norfolk). After the Dissolution, granted to Thomas Boleyn [DCN 63/1], later owned by Thomas Wodehouse (first court 1559), by Henry Wodehouse, then by Thomas Gryme (first court 1577). Gryme owned the four manors of Swafield Bromholme, North Walsham Bromholme, Swafield Boylands and North Walsham Boylands and these manors always passed subsequently to the same owner: at some dates they are treated as four separate manors, at other dates as one manor but with separate jurors for each of the four 'members': North Walsham Lyngate is often included as a fifth 'member'.\r\nJohn Rant occurs as lord in 1609 and the manors remained in the Rant family until at least 1719. At a later date they were owned by the Harbord family of Gunton Hall.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Owned by Cluniac Priory of Bromholme (in Bacton parish, Norfolk). After the Dissolution, granted to Thomas Boleyn [DCN 63/1], later owned by Thomas Wodehouse (first court 1559), by Henry Wodehouse, then by Thomas Gryme (first court 1577). Gryme owned the four manors of Swafield Bromholme, North Walsham Bromholme, Swafield Boylands and North Walsham Boylands and these manors always passed subsequently to the same owner: at some dates they are treated as four separate manors, at other dates as one manor but with separate jurors for each of the four 'members': North Walsham Lyngate is often included as a fifth 'member'.\r\nJohn Rant occurs as lord in 1609 and the manors remained in the Rant family until at least 1719. At a later date they were owned by the Harbord family of Gunton Hall.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1867; lord of the manor: Lord Suffield; Steward: W. Henry Scott [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The manor was the property of the Abbess of Bruisyard [Suffolk] until the Dissolution, when it was granted to Nicholas Hare in 1539. Three years later Hare had licence to alien it to Sir John Gresham. Sir John held his first court in 1542, William Gresham and Beatrice his wife held their first court in 1554 and Edmund Gresham in 1556. During this time the manor was referred to as Southrepps Greshams on the part of Brosyards in court rolls. Sir Richard Gresham conveyed it to Robert Blofield in 1614 who almost immediately sold it to Ralph Hartstong in whose family it remained into the mid-seventeenth century. By the early eighteenth century Brosyards was administered with Thorpe Market indicating that it was held by the lords of that manor i.e. Britliffe and Lord Suffield.\r\nAccording to the court records, Charles, Lord Suffield was owner in 1920.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

A submanor within Gimingham Lancaster. It was separated from the main manor when it was sold by Edward and John Feilder to Robert Kempe in 1653 [NRO, GTN 1/18/2/13-14].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

A submanor within Gimingham Lancaster though holds its own court from at least the eighteenth century onwards. The lords of the manor are given in court books [NRO NRS 16774-5] as follows: Charles Yallop (early eighteenth century); Rowland Bolt (c 1743-70); Sir Harbord Harbord, Bt (first court 1771, and as Lord Suffield from 1796 - c 1806); Edward, Lord Suffield (1824); Right Hon Charles Lord Suffield (1854).

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Roger le Bigot died in possession 1269-70; heir Sir Roger [IPM 1/744]. At an inquisition taken in 1361, Edward de Monte Acuto was found to have been in possession of the manor, holding it of the king. Joan, wife of William de Ufford, his daughter was heir [IPM 11/132]. William de Ufford, Earl of Suffolk, died in possession 1381-2; heirs William de Wylurghby, Robert lord de Scales, Henry de Ferrariis of Groby; [IPM 15/599,608]. Margaret, Duchess of Norfolk, died in possession, 1399; heir Thomas Moubray [IPM 18/258]. \r\nLord Suffield, is named as lord of the manor of Hanworth in the Inclosure Act of 1839 [NRO, C/Sca 2/21], and on the Alby Inclosure Award of 1843 [NRO, C/Sca 2/20].\r\nLord Suffield is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nLord Suffield is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1882; lord of the manor: Henry Edwards Paine; Steward: George Wheeler [TNA, HMC 5/6]. According to the court records, Charles, Lord Suffield was owner in 1920.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

TAKEN FROM BLOMEFIELD: Was held by Robert Elmham of North Walsham, at his death in the 17th of Edward IV. of the abbot; and Margaret Willoughby dying seized of it in the 35th of Henry VIII. and Catherine Heydon was found to be her heir and cousin.
The Earl Warren had a lordship here of which 2 freemen were deprived; there belonged to it 105 acres, one villain, and 4 borderers, and 2 socmen, and there were 4 carucates and an half, and 3 acres and an half of meadow, paunage for 4 swine, and a mill, valued in King Edward's reign at 20s. at the survey at 40s. The abbot of St. Bennet had the soc, and the commendation or protection of them before the Conquest.
By an inquisition taken in the 3d of Edward III. the jury find that the Earl had but one acre of demean land, but several free tenants, viz. the abbot of St Bennet, the lord of Eye in Suffolk, &c. and that they ought to appear at the coming of the justices, sheriffs, &c. by 4 men and the reve, and to answer for the 5th part of the town, that they ought to be toll free in the market here and town, that the Earl had all the amercements of his tenants of the barony and soke of Gymingham, amerced in the lete of the abbot of those who were residents on the Earl's fee; that the market was used in a place called the Heath, of the issues whereof the Earl had one moiety, and the abbot the other; that the Earl's tenants were hindered of their common in Loust-Fen, Gerdesmeadow, and Hilmore, by ponds made therein by the abbot and Robert Byran.
But by another inquisition it was found that Gerdes-meadow was the separate soil of the abbot, and as to Loust-fen and Hilmore, they were moors particularly belonging to the abbot, who made ponds there, and like his separate fishery; that the Earl's tenants of North Walsham and Swafield, ought not to common there. As to the market on the heath, they say that there never was any market there; that the abbot always had his market where now it is; that all the men of Gymingham soc were to pay toll there, as the Earl's having the amercement of his tenants; they say that the abbot and his predecessors held this hundred of Tunsted, in fee farm of the King, and by virtue thereof held a lete in North Walsham, within the precincts whereof the Earl's tenants are, and that the Earl had the amercements of those of his tenants only, who broke the assise of bread and beer.
By another, in the 12th of Edward II. taken at Gymingham, the jury say that the tenants of the Earl, free and bond of the soke of Gymingham, except the tenants of the new land, paid toll of all their corn and barley, but never paid toll for their beasts sold, nor the tenants of the new land.
From: 'Tunstede Hundred: North Walsham', An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 11 (1810), pp. 73-79. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=78750 Date accessed: 15 July 2013.
The manor was held by the same owners as Bromholme and Boylands in Swafield and North Walsham, and is sometimes treated as a member of that manor, for example in 1924 when the court was held by Victor Alexander Charles, Lord Suffield.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The lordship was purchased by Mr James Bolton in 1990 (Eastern Daily Press 28 June 1990).
Last transaction dated: 1867; lord of the manor: Lord Suffield; Steward: W. Henry Scott [TNA, HMC 5/6]. According to the court records, Charles, Lord Suffield was owner in 1920.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Owned by the Harbord/Suffield family of Gunton Hall [source: Bryant's Norfolk Churches].\r\nLord Suffield, JP, is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1867; lord of the manor: Lord Suffield; Steward: W. Henry Scott [TNA, HMC 5/6]. According to the court records, Charles, Lord Suffield was owner in 1920.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Roger le Bigot died in possession 1269-70; heir Sir Roger [IPM 1/744]. Roger Bigot died in possession 1306-7; 'no heir' [IPM 4/434]. Anne, late Countess of Pembroke, died in possession, 1382-3; heir her son John [IPM 16/21]: the manor is said to include wood at Catfield and grazing rights in Ingham, Hickling, Horsey, Brunstead, [Potter] Heigham, West Lexham, Ludham [IPM 16/23]. Margaret, Duchess of Norfolk, died in possession, 1399; heir Thomas Moubray [IPM 18/258]. Moubray died in possession of two parts of the manor of Loddon, 1399 [IPM 18/277]

Name of creator

(1189-1611)

Administrative history

Nicholas Cattelyn and William Guybon held their first court in 1580 after purchasing the manor from John Stanley. After 1611 the manor was joined with Antingham Witchinghams, sometimes with separate courts in one court book, at other times one court but with a separate juror for each 'element'.

Name of creator

(1189-1611)

Administrative history

Geoffrey Lesyngham, Hugh Lenyche and Edward Stokeman, clerks, held their first court in 1457; Edward Witchingham held his first court in 1460. William Jenny and Elizabeth his wife by her second marriage held their first court in 1505. Thomas Puto held his first court as farmer, on assignment by Thomas Hune, in 1558 and Thomas Gryme, by assignmant of Thomas Puto, held his first court in 1561. Anphilis Gryme, widow, by the terms of the will of Thomas Gryme, held her first court in 1593. John Kempe and Anphilis his wife held their first court in 1607. Robert Kempe held his first court in 1611. After 1611 the manor was joined with Antingham Wallshes, sometimes with separate courts in one court book, at other times one court but with a separate juror for each 'element'. The lordship of Antingham Witchingham was purchased by Ms Melody Urquhart in 1990 (Eastern Daily Press 28 June 1990).

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Thomas Gryme, first court 1577. Gryme owned the four manors of Swafield Bromholme, North Walsham Bromholme, Swafield Boylands and North Walsham Boylands and these manors always passed subsequently to the same owner: at some dates they are treated as four separate manors, at other dates as one manor but with separate jurors for each of the four 'members': North Walsham Lyngate is often included as a fifth 'member'.\r\nJohn Rant occurs as lord in 1609 and the manors remained in the Rant family until at least 1719. At a later date they were owned by the Harbord family of Gunton Hall.

Archival history

Suffield

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Manors of Mundesley, Overstrand, Suffield, Southrepps Brosyards, Hanworth, Gimingham Lancaster ex parte Northrepps, and Hulver, Gimingham Lancaster, Northrepps, Antingham Witchingham and Wallishes and Chamberlyns, Broomeholme in North Walsham, Boylands in North Walsham, Broomholme in Swafield, Boylands in Swafield, Lingate.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

aa8af642-cd43-498c-99b6-38f86086a246

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Uncatalogued

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 08/11/2006 by Droip. Modified 06/08/2015 by Droip.

Sources

Accession area