- Mar 1368-Mar 1449 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Formerly known as St Giles' Hospital, the Great Hospital in Norwich is still a functioning charitable, residential institution and its archives extend from the thirteenth century to the twentieth century. Prior to the Municipal Reform Act of 1835, the Mayor and Corporation acted as trustees for a large number of City charities. The most ancient was the Great Hospital (founded by Walter Suffield, Bishop of Norwich, in 1249), whose records are the largest and most complete of any of the City charities.
While most English hospitals were dissolved at the Reformation in the sixteenth century, the Great Hospital was one of very few which survived. On Henry VIII's death in 1547, it was surrendered to the new Protestant monarch, Edward VI. The Norwich city fathers, however, were sufficiently astute to recognize the important rôle which the Hospital might play in caring for the city's poor (who then posed a serious social problem). Edward VI succumbed to local pressure and returned the ownership of the Hospital and its possessions, land and property to the corporation, which then used it to prioritise and channel charitable work in the community. Thus, through its acquisition by the corporation, the Hospital continued to function and its records became part of the city archives.
By the terms of Edward VI's charter by letters patent in 1547, forty poor people were to be accommodated in the Hospital (then called 'God's House'), looked after by the keeper of the House and a team of four matrons or women keepers, but by the end of the century, the number had risen to 54. In 1633, owing to increased revenues, the numbers of inhabitants had increased to 86 though there were still only four women keepers. Seven years later, there were 95 inhabitants, looked after by five matrons. Of these inhabitants, the original 40 provided for by charter had been augmented by two paid for by legacies in Francis Rugg's will, two more by the will of Alderman Henry Fawcett and the remainder allowed by the mayor and aldermen because of the increase in revenues. Presumably finances were tight when in 1647, numbers were down to 71 and the team of matrons only four women, but by the early Commonwealth period, there were again 95 poor and five matrons. By 1685, a hundred poor folk were accommodated in the Hospital.
The Charity Commissioners finished their enquiry into the Norwich charities in 1833 and a copy of their printed report is to be found at N/TC 63/2. By a Chancery Order dated 18 March 1837, twenty-six Charity Trustees were appointed, with responsibility to manage the charities formerly in trust with the Corporation. The charities were divided into two lists: the Church List Charities (including the Great Hospital, the Free Grammar School, Archbishop Parker's Scholarships, the Preachers' Fund and various other smaller charities) and the General List Charities (including Doughty's Hospital, the Boys' Hospital, the Girls' Hospital, the Barnham Broom Estate and many other smaller charities).
A considerable number of charity records (many of them pre-1835) were deposited in the Record Office many years after the publication of Hudson and Tingey's Revised Catalogue of the Records of the City of Norwich in 1898. They interrelate with the records in the NCR collection and are listed at N/CCH and N/MC.
The medieval records of the Great Hospital were inscribed in the UNESCO UK Memory of the World Register in May 2011. The UK Memory of the World Register (established in 2010) helps to raise awareness of some of the UK’s exceptional, but lesser-known documentary riches by awarding them globally-recognised Memory of the World status.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
1 Dated at Hevyngham, 28 March 1368 and in the 13th [year] of the bishop's consecration. Letters of grant by Bishop Thomas, citing Bishop William Ayremynne's appropriation [in 1331] to the Hospital of St Giles of the church at Thurlton to found a chantry and three chaplains to celebrate divine service at the chapel in the bishop's palace at Norwich, the Hospital to provide out of the annual profits of the Thurlton benefice, the stipends of 6 marks for each chaplain, and on the complaint by the Master that because of recent epidemics and pestilences, the profits of Thurlton living were much reduced, the bishop agreed that the Hospital should be exonerated from paying one of the three chaplains, though the stipends of the remaining two together would be increased to 14 marks, 3s, 4d.
2 Dated at the chapter house of St Giles's Hospital, 19 December 1448. Hugh Acton's appointment of John Davy as procurator to negotiate [? with the bishop] on the Hospital's behalf concerning the two medieties of their appropriated church at Thurveton [Thurlton]. Sealed with a large fragment of the vesica (oval)-shaped common seal of the Hospital with its design showing St Giles protecting a hind.
3 Dated at the bishop's manor at Geywode, 4 Jan 1448/9 and the 3rd year of his consecration. Bishop Walter [Lyhart]'s agreement with Master Hugh Acton and his brethren of the Hospital that because the living at Thurlton was so reduced, the Hospital be discharged from paying for the remaining two chantry priests at the bishop's palace, [the chantry instead being transferred to the church at the Hospital itself].
4 Dated at the Norwich chapter house 20 March 1448/9. Brother John Heverlond, the Prior of Norwich's inspeximus of Bishop Walter's deed of agreement, dated 4 Jan 1448 (as above).
Both A and D endorsed by Blomefield, 'Hist. Norw fo.522' and with his crossed circle sign.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material