Norfolk Mental Hospital; 1920-1923; Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk

Zone d'identification

Type d'entité

Collectivité

Forme autorisée du nom

Norfolk Mental Hospital; 1920-1923; Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk

Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom

Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions

Autre(s) forme(s) du nom

  • Norfolk Quarter Sessions Lunatic Asylum
  • Norfolk Quarter Sessions Lunatic Hospital

Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités

Zone de description

Dates d'existence

1920-1923

Historique

Norfolk Quarter Sessions in 1808 declared their intention to build a 'lunatic asylum' for the County following an Act of Parliament for the same year. The asylum was duly completed in 1814 when it received its first patients. In 1915 the hospital was used by the War Office as a War Hospital. Patients of the Asylum were moved to other asylums in the region and county patients were admitted to the Norwich City Asylum. The Medical Superintendent became Officer Commanding the Hospital until 1919 when control of the hospital reverted to the control of a Committee of Visitors. By 1920 the Asylum was called the Norfolk Mental Hospital and the name changed to St Andrew's Hospital in 1923. Following the National Health Service Act, 1946, the hospital passed from the county to central government control and became administered by the East Anglian Region, Group 7 Hospital Management Committee. Control passed to the Norfolk Area Health Authority in 1974 following the National Health Service Reorganisation Act, 1973. The Hospital closed in 1998 and the premises were converted in to housing.

Lieux

Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk

Statut juridique

Public

Fonctions et activités

Textes de référence

Organisation interne/Généalogie

Contexte général

Zone des relations

Zone des points d'accès

Occupations

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la notice d'autorité

GB/153/NM/1741

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Statut

Catalogued

Niveau de détail

Élémentaire

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Created on: 17/01/2003 by Drojd

Langue(s)

Écriture(s)

Sources

Thomson, D.G., 'The Norfolk County Asylum, 1814-1903', 1903 (SAH 323); annual reports 1906-1921 (SAH 32)

Notes relatives à la mise à jour de la notice

  • Presse-papier

  • Exporter

  • EAC