Norfolk Mental Hospital; 1920-1923; Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk

Área de identidad

Tipo de entidad

Entidad colectiva

Forma autorizada del nombre

Norfolk Mental Hospital; 1920-1923; Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nombre

Forma(s) normalizada del nombre, de acuerdo a otras reglas

Otra(s) forma(s) de nombre

  • Norfolk Quarter Sessions Lunatic Asylum
  • Norfolk Quarter Sessions Lunatic Hospital

Identificadores para instituciones

Área de descripción

Fechas de existencia

1920-1923

Historia

Norfolk Quarter Sessions in 1808 declared their intention to build a 'lunatic asylum' for the County following an Act of Parliament for the same year. The asylum was duly completed in 1814 when it received its first patients. In 1915 the hospital was used by the War Office as a War Hospital. Patients of the Asylum were moved to other asylums in the region and county patients were admitted to the Norwich City Asylum. The Medical Superintendent became Officer Commanding the Hospital until 1919 when control of the hospital reverted to the control of a Committee of Visitors. By 1920 the Asylum was called the Norfolk Mental Hospital and the name changed to St Andrew's Hospital in 1923. Following the National Health Service Act, 1946, the hospital passed from the county to central government control and became administered by the East Anglian Region, Group 7 Hospital Management Committee. Control passed to the Norfolk Area Health Authority in 1974 following the National Health Service Reorganisation Act, 1973. The Hospital closed in 1998 and the premises were converted in to housing.

Lugares

Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk

Estatuto jurídico

Public

Funciones, ocupaciones y actividades

Mandatos/fuentes de autoridad

Estructura/genealogía interna

Contexto general

Área de relaciones

Access points area

Occupations

Área de control

Identificador de registro de autoridad

GB/153/NM/1741

Identificador de la institución

Reglas y/o convenciones usadas

Estado de elaboración

Catalogued

Nivel de detalle

Básico

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Created on: 17/01/2003 by Drojd

Idioma(s)

Escritura(s)

Fuentes

Thomson, D.G., 'The Norfolk County Asylum, 1814-1903', 1903 (SAH 323); annual reports 1906-1921 (SAH 32)

Notas de mantención

  • Portapapeles

  • Exportar

  • EAC