Norfolk Mental Hospital; 1920-1923; Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Norfolk Mental Hospital; 1920-1923; Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Norfolk Quarter Sessions Lunatic Asylum
  • Norfolk Quarter Sessions Lunatic Hospital

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1920-1923

History

Norfolk Quarter Sessions in 1808 declared their intention to build a 'lunatic asylum' for the County following an Act of Parliament for the same year. The asylum was duly completed in 1814 when it received its first patients. In 1915 the hospital was used by the War Office as a War Hospital. Patients of the Asylum were moved to other asylums in the region and county patients were admitted to the Norwich City Asylum. The Medical Superintendent became Officer Commanding the Hospital until 1919 when control of the hospital reverted to the control of a Committee of Visitors. By 1920 the Asylum was called the Norfolk Mental Hospital and the name changed to St Andrew's Hospital in 1923. Following the National Health Service Act, 1946, the hospital passed from the county to central government control and became administered by the East Anglian Region, Group 7 Hospital Management Committee. Control passed to the Norfolk Area Health Authority in 1974 following the National Health Service Reorganisation Act, 1973. The Hospital closed in 1998 and the premises were converted in to housing.

Places

Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk

Legal status

Public

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB/153/NM/1741

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 17/01/2003 by Drojd

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Thomson, D.G., 'The Norfolk County Asylum, 1814-1903', 1903 (SAH 323); annual reports 1906-1921 (SAH 32)

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC