Series KL/C 5 - Minutes of the Guild Merchant of the Holy Trinity

Identity area

Reference code

KL/C 5

Title

Minutes of the Guild Merchant of the Holy Trinity

Date(s)

  • 13th century-16th century (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Extent and medium

Context area

Name of creator

(c 1286-c 1545)

Administrative history

In existence from the 13th century, dissolved around 1545, during the Reformation. Met at the Trinity Guildhall, King's Lynn. Guild practice in Lynn was dominated by the Trinity Guild, which included all those trading in the town. The guild had a chapel within St Margaret's chuch and employed thirteen chaplains: six in St Margaret, four in St Nicholas, and three in St James. It also regularly acted as trustee for simple charity distributions, as well as more elaborate schemes (such as the almshouse started in 1473, and Thoresbys College, founded in 1543), funded by the large amounts of property owned by the guild. A proportion of this property passed to the Corporation in 1545 when the religious guilds were dissolved.\r\nThe Guild enjoyed a corporate status before the Borough had the right to appoint its own mayor (see KL/C2/1). The office of Alderman of the Guild remained second only to that of mayor until the Guild was dissolved (KL/C 5).

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The Guild enjoyed a corporate status before the Borough had the right to appoint its own mayor (see KL/C2/1); the office of Alderman of the Guild remained second only to that of mayor until the Guild was dissolved.

Morrowspeech and congregation rolls, c. 1286-1308, 1319-1341 and 1385-1387, and undated memorandum of election of officers, 16th century.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

A further roll, placed in this series by Henry Harrod (Harrod reference Gd 48) was identified in the 1970s as relating to Corpus Christi gild, and has the current reference KL/C 57/1.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

aeccc185-a5ab-4c45-b352-94b3940fa565

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 03/06/2003 by Droip. Modified 02/10/2018 by Drv06.

Sources

Accession area