Sub-series NCR 24b/1/1-56 - Medieval foundation of St Giles' Hospital

Zone d'identification

Cote

NCR 24b/1/1-56

Titre

Medieval foundation of St Giles' Hospital

Date(s)

  • nd [c 1249]-1547 (Production)

Niveau de description

Sub-series

Étendue matérielle et support

78 parchments, papers and files

Zone du contexte

Nom du producteur

(c 1249-1547)

Histoire administrative

Founded as the Hospital of St Giles by Walter Suffield, Bishop of Norwich, in c 1249 for the support of an establishment of a master, four lay brothers and four sisters (who were to undertake the actual caring and practical work) as well as four chaplains to celebrate divine service for the founder's soul in the chapel at the Hospital, all for the maintenance in the hospital, '...as long as they live...' of poor and infirm priests in the diocese, the feeding and instruction in grammar of seven poor scholars and for feeding 13 other poor people daily. Within twenty years of the foundation, additional endowments from wealthy men such as William de Dunwich, enabled the hospital to support five sick paupers, and by 1451, a surviving licence in mortmain includes a description of the Hospital's establishment as a master, eight chaplains, two clerks, seven poor scholar choristers, eight disabled poor in beds with 13 poor at the doors fed daily with a meal and warmed before the Hospital's chimney, and two serving sisters.

Nom du producteur

(c 1249-)

Histoire administrative

Established in c 1249 by the then Bishop of Norwich, Walter Suffield and originally known as the Hospital of the Blessed Mary and St Giles, and afterwards, simply as St Giles's Hospital, Norwich, in the parish of St Helen in Holmstrete, now Bishopgate in Norwich.
Formerly known as St Giles' Hospital, the Great Hospital in Norwich is still a functioning charitable, residential institution and its archives extend from the thirteenth century to the twentieth century. Prior to the Municipal Reform Act of 1835, the Mayor and Corporation acted as trustees for a large number of City charities. The most ancient was the Great Hospital (founded by Walter Suffield, Bishop of Norwich, in 1249), whose records are the largest and most complete of any of the City charities.
While most English hospitals were dissolved at the Reformation in the sixteenth century, the Great Hospital was one of very few which survived. On Henry VIII's death in 1547, it was surrendered to the new Protestant monarch, Edward VI. The Norwich city fathers, however, were sufficiently astute to recognize the important rôle which the Hospital might play in caring for the city's poor (who then posed a serious social problem). Edward VI succumbed to local pressure and returned the ownership of the Hospital and its possessions, land and property to the corporation, which then used it to prioritise and channel charitable work in the community. Thus, through its acquisition by the corporation, the Hospital continued to function and its records became part of the city archives.
By the terms of Edward VI's charter by letters patent in 1547, forty poor people were to be accommodated in the Hospital (then called 'God's House'), looked after by the keeper of the House and a team of four matrons or women keepers, but by the end of the century, the number had risen to 54. In 1633, owing to increased revenues, the numbers of inhabitants had increased to 86 though there were still only four women keepers. Seven years later, there were 95 inhabitants, looked after by five matrons. Of these inhabitants, the original 40 provided for by charter had been augmented by two paid for by legacies in Francis Rugg's will, two more by the will of Alderman Henry Fawcett and the remainder allowed by the mayor and aldermen because of the increase in revenues. Presumably finances were tight when in 1647, numbers were down to 71 and the team of matrons only four women, but by the early Commonwealth period, there were again 95 poor and five matrons. By 1685, a hundred poor folk were accommodated in the Hospital.
The Charity Commissioners finished their enquiry into the Norwich charities in 1833 and a copy of their printed report is to be found at N/TC 63/2. By a Chancery Order dated 18 March 1837, twenty-six Charity Trustees were appointed, with responsibility to manage the charities formerly in trust with the Corporation. The charities were divided into two lists: the Church List Charities (including the Great Hospital, the Free Grammar School, Archbishop Parker's Scholarships, the Preachers' Fund and various other smaller charities) and the General List Charities (including Doughty's Hospital, the Boys' Hospital, the Girls' Hospital, the Barnham Broom Estate and many other smaller charities).
A considerable number of charity records (many of them pre-1835) were deposited in the Record Office many years after the publication of Hudson and Tingey's Revised Catalogue of the Records of the City of Norwich in 1898. They interrelate with the records in the NCR collection and are listed at N/CCH and N/MC.
The medieval records of the Great Hospital were inscribed in the UNESCO UK Memory of the World Register in May 2011. The UK Memory of the World Register (established in 2010) helps to raise awareness of some of the UK’s exceptional, but lesser-known documentary riches by awarding them globally-recognised Memory of the World status.

Histoire archivistique

Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert

Zone du contenu et de la structure

Portée et contenu

Founded as the Hospital of St Giles by Walter Suffield, Bishop of Norwich, in c 1249 for the support of an establishment of a master, four lay brothers and four sisters (who were to undertake the actual caring and practical work) as well as four chaplains to celebrate divine service for the founder's soul in the chapel at the Hospital, all for the maintenance in the hospital, '...as long as they live...' of poor and infirm priests in the diocese, the feeding and instruction in grammar of seven poor scholars and for feeding 13 other poor people daily. Within twenty years of the foundation, additional endowments from wealthy men such as William de Dunwich, enabled the hospital to support five sick paupers, and by 1451, a surviving licence in mortmain includes a description of the Hospital's establishment as a master, eight chaplains, two clerks, seven poor scholar choristers, eight disabled poor in beds with 13 poor at the doors fed daily with a meal and warmed before the Hospital's chimney, and two serving sisters.

Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation

Accroissements

Mode de classement

Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation

Conditions d’accès

Conditions de reproduction

Langue des documents

  • latin

Écriture des documents

Notes sur la langue et l'écriture

Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques

Instruments de recherche

Zone des sources complémentaires

Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux

Existence et lieu de conservation des copies

Unités de description associées

Descriptions associées

Zone des notes

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle de la description

Identifiant de la description

244575c3-5f24-4b8f-997f-b9a1c354fe97

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Statut

Catalogued

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision, de suppression

Created 21/09/2017 by Drott. Modified 12/12/2018 by Drott.

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Genres associés

Lieux associés