Sub-series KL/TC 13/1 - Mayoral and civic engravings and photographs

Identity area

Reference code

KL/TC 13/1

Title

Mayoral and civic engravings and photographs

Date(s)

  • 1812-1942 (Creation)

Level of description

Sub-series

Extent and medium

24 photos and 4 copies of engravings

Context area

Name of creator

(1204-1974)

Administrative history

The borough consisted of the parish of St Margaret only until South Lynn was annexed to it in 1555, by a royal grant which was confirmed and made permanent in 1557. It was known as Lynn Episcopi, or Lynn Bishop, until 1536-7, when the estates of the Bishop of Norwich, including the lordship of Lynn, were transferred to the Crown and the change of name confirmed by letters patent. Other significant royal grants include incorporation in 1524, the Guildhall, Tolbooth, Leet and Pie Powder Courts in 1537 and Admiralty jurisdiction in 1604.\r\nThe boundaries of the municipal borough were extended by the King's Lynn Corporation Act 1880 to include parts of Gaywood and North Lynn and by the County of Norfolk Review Order 1935 to the civil parishes of Gaywood and North Lynn and parts of West Lynn and North Runcton. On 1 April 1974 the former municipal borough became part of the newly formed District of West Norfolk (since 1981 the Borough of King's Lynn and West Norfolk), which also included the areas of the former Rural Districts of Docking, Downham Freebridge Lynn and Marshland and the Urban Districts of Downham Market and Hunstanton.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Contains large size photos and engravings of mayors and notable persons. Also photos of the ceremony to open the King's Lynn Mart.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Some mayoral photos sustained water damaged, possibly in the 1978 flood.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

MC 281/8 is a photo of the opening ceremony of the 1903 Mart

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

CALM RefNo

KL/TC/13/1

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

1db1c8f2-87ad-4a1f-b944-c330e0ff5b1c

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 10/02/2017 by Luke.Shackell. Modified 22/08/2017 by Luke.Shackell.

Sources

Accession area