File DUN 60, 105X4 - Manors of Mulbarton, Saxlingham, Panworth Hall in Ashill, Mattishall Tuddenham on the part of North Tuddenham, Fritton with Boyland Hall, Shottesham Hall, North Tuddenham Belhouse Hall, Woodhall in Little Ryburgh, Little Ryburgh, Horsham St Faiths, Ryburgh Paveless and Newton Flotman, Fine Book

Identity area

Reference code

DUN 60, 105X4

Title

Manors of Mulbarton, Saxlingham, Panworth Hall in Ashill, Mattishall Tuddenham on the part of North Tuddenham, Fritton with Boyland Hall, Shottesham Hall, North Tuddenham Belhouse Hall, Woodhall in Little Ryburgh, Little Ryburgh, Horsham St Faiths, Ryburgh Paveless and Newton Flotman, Fine Book

Date(s)

  • 1808-1828 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Richard de Belhus died in possession of the manor of 'Tuddenham Falgate' 1300-1; heir his son Thomas [IPM 4/43].\r\nT.B. Evans, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845). Messrs Winter and Francis are given as lords of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

In eighteenth century court rolls it is called 'Fritton cum Boyland Hall' [NRO MS 10273].\r\nWilliam Frederick Irby, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nMrs Isabella Irby is given as lady of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

William Frederick Irby, Esq., is given as lord of the manor of Boyland cum Fritton in White's Trade Directory (1845).

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Owned by Horsham priory until the Disssolution [Swales]. Granted to Richard Southwell and Edward Elrington in 1545. Sir Henry Hobart was lord in 1612, in which year there was a court case concerning disputed boundary between Horsham and Horsford commons. The manor descended to his son John Hobart. In 1707 Sir Ralph Hare had it in right of his wife, co-heiress of Walter Narbourn. Later lords/ladies included Elizabeth, Lady Hereford 1734; Narborn Berkely; Philip Stephens MP, lord in 1781; Robert Raclyfe, 1851; Countess de Rechborg 1897; John Spurrell early 20th century.[source: Bryant]
Last transaction dated: 1892; lord of the manor: Countess de Rechberg; Steward: Edwyn T. Roberts [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

At an inquisition taken in 1489, Henry Lovell, Lord Morley, was found to have been in possession of the manor, holding it of the Bishop of Ely. Alice was his daughter and heir [IPM H7 1/212].
Thomas Trench Berney is named as lord of Mattishall Tuddenham on the East Tuddenham Inclosure Award of 1804 [NRO, C/Sca 2/303]. He is also given as lord in White's Trade Directory (1845).

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Revd J.H. Steward is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nJohn Steward, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1877; lord of the manor: John Steward; Steward: Walter Overbury [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

At an inquisition taken in 1490, Richard Blomvyle was found to have been in possession of the manor of Newton Flotman called Blomevylez, and three parts of the manor called Maleherbes, holding both of Lord Dacre. Ralph was his son and heir [IPM H7 1/279]. R.K. Long, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nF.W.K. Long, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1922; lord of the manor: Fortescue Walter Kellett Long; Steward: W.E. Ripley [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Inquisitions post mortem provide information about the tenant-in-chief of the manor: Richard de Clere, Earl of Gloucester and Hertford died in possession 1261-2 [IPM 1:1/530]. The manor was granted by Thomas, Earl of Warwick, to Thomas Aldebury in 1400, holding it of the honour of Clare [IPM 1:18/300]. \r\nBy the eighteenth century the manor had come to the Cokes; T.W. Coke was lord at the time of the Inclosure Award of 1786 [NRO, C/Sce 1/3] and the Earl of Leicester is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directories [1845 and 1883].\r\nAccording to the MAF's list of known manors, compiled in 1925, the last transaction was dated 1866, the lord of the manor was the Earl of Leicester and William Foster was steward [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Owned by the Townshend family in the later 16th century.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Thomas de Felton died in possession 1380-1; heirs his three daughters [IPM 15/341]\r\nEdmond Wodehouse, Esq., MP for Thorpe, near Norwich, is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Blomefield states that Netherhall was an alias for Verdons manor, in the same parish, although this would appear to be incorrect. A series of court rolls from the late-fourteenth to late-sixteenth century demonstrate that a court was being held for this manor separately from either Verdons or Thorpe Hall. \r\nThis manor was held by the de la Pole family from at least the fifteenth century: John de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk held his first court in 1475, at which the manor was farmed out. A list of feoffees is given including William Oudle, Sir Richard Haycourt and Henry Heydon. The de la Poles also held Thorpe Hall manor. \r\nA moiety of the manor was granted to Thomas Gawdie in 1568 and passed to his son Henry, who held his first court in 1589. The Totehill or Tuthill family also had an interest in the manor at about this time, deeds show that various lands were granted and surrendered to them in Netherhall in the late fifteenth and early sixteenth century. Elizabeth Totle, widow of William Totle, held her first court in 1591, although the manor appears to have been held by the Gawdies, with Thorpe Hall and Verdons, into the early seventeenth century. \r\nThe three manors were sold in 1622 to Charles Suckling. By the mid-seventeenth century they were held by John Tuthill, who died in 1684, at which point the manors passed to his daughter Elizabeth, wife of John Mingay. Their daughters and heiresses sold the manors in c.1716 to Robert Atwood, Esq. His son John inherited and then the manors passed to his daughter Anne, married to Thomas Gooch, Esq. \r\nThe lord of the manor in 1783 was Sir Thomas Gooch; an abridgment of court books from 1665 was prepared for him at this date (MC 1831/23, includes 1783 rental). Gooch's heir Thomas sold the manors in 1824 to John Steward and they remained in this family into the twentieth century. The three manors held their own courts, but from at least the seventeenth century they were recorded in the same court books. \r\nJohn Steward, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883. \r\nLast transaction dated: 1881; lord of the manor (with Verdons and Thorpe Hall): John Steward; Steward: J. Wilson Gilbert [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nIn a letter of 1662, Robert Hampson is of the opinion that one of the manors named Saxlingham is held of the Honour of Clare, but states that he does not know which [NRO, WHT 1/73].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The manor appears in a fine and fee book of those manors held by Robert Fellowes in the late nineteenth century [NRO MC 1832/15-16], and a bundle of papers related to extinguishment of manorial incidents in his manors in the early twentieth century [NRO MC 1832/17].\r\nLast transaction dated: 1913; lord of the manor: Robert Fellowes; Steward: J. Wilson Gilbert & Co. [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The manor belonged to the Abbot of St Benet's of Holm at Conquest and was given to John FitzRobert and his heirs in fee. Eustace de Vesci gave it to Adam de Carleolo, or Carlisle, in the mid-twelfth century. By the early thirteenth century the sub-infeudation was such that the manor was held by William Cardville (in 1225), of the heirs of Eustace Vesci, and they of Robert FitzRoger and he of the Abbot of St. Benet, and he of the king. Blomefield gives further detail of the complicated tenure beneath this: parts of the manor were held by the Cardwilles, Blunds and Gosfords variously throughout the thirteenth century. \r\nThe Carlisle interest in the manor (William Carlisle was lord in 1285) was seized by the King in the late thirteenth century and given to Sir William Montecute Willam de Monte Acuto died in possession 1319-20; heir his son William [IPM 6/238]. The manor remained in the family into the 1320s. It was conveyed to Sir John Wingfield in 1357 and then passed to Michael de la Pole by marriage to Catherine, heir of Sir John Wingfield, in 1361. The manor remained with the de la Poles, as Earls of Suffolk, until the attainder of Edmund de la Pole in 1513, at which point the manor was seized by the King and granted in moieties. Blomefield gives more detail of these several moities, one of which was granted to Anne of Cleves following the annulment of her marriage to Henry. These were gradually, in the 1560s, sold to the Gawdies. \r\nThorpe Hall was thus joined with Netherhall and Verdons under the Gawdies, and the three manors were sold in 1622 to Charles Suckling. By the mid-seventeenth century they were held by John Tuthill, who died in 1684, at which point the manors passed to his daughter Elizabeth, wife of John Mingay. Their daughters and heiresses sold the manors in c.1716 to Robert Atwood, Esq. His son John inherited and then the manors passed to his daughter Anne, married to Thomas Gooch, Esq. \r\nThe lord of the manor in 1783 was Sir Thomas Gooch; an abridgment of court books from 1665 was prepared for him at this date (MC 1831/23, includes 1783 rental). Gooch's heir Thomas sold the manors in 1824 to John Steward and they remained in this family into the twentieth century. The three manors held their own courts, but from at least the seventeenth century they were recorded in the same court books. \r\nJohn Steward, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883. \r\nLast transaction dated: 1881; lord of the manor (with Verdons and Netherhall): John Steward; Steward: J. Wilson Gilbert [TNA, HMC 5/6]. \r\nIn a letter of 1662, Robert Hampson is of the opinion that one of the manors named Saxlingham is held of the Honour of Clare, but that he does not know which [NRO, WHT 1/73].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Blomefield lists various parts of this manor held by individuals both pre- and post-Conquest. These parts were then feoffed by Roger Bigod to William de Verdon in the late eleventh century. John de Verdun died in possession of Saxlingham 1294-5; dower of one third of the manor assigned to his wife Eleanor [IPM 3/298]. The manor continued in the Verdons until 1380 when it was settled on Simon Simeon by Sir John Verdon. The manor was then held by Sir John Bernak in 1401. In 1478, John Broughton, Esq. died seized of it, and it passed to John his son. John died in 1528 and the manor passed to his daughters Anne and Catherine. According to Blomefield 'several large parts' of the manor were annexed to Catherine, who had married Sir Thomas Cheine, lord warden of the Cinque Ports. The rest remained with Anne, married to William lord Howard of Naworth, and then passed to his heir Anne d.1601and her husband Sir William Paulet, Marquess of Winchester. The manor stayed with the Paulets, but by 1636 was jointly held with Sir Henry Gaudie. Court books of the later sixteenth century give the lord as Thomas Gawdie (1573) and Henry Gawdie his heir (1589), suggesting that the manor may have previously been leased to them.
The three manors, Thorpe Hall, Netherhall and Verdons, were joined under the Gawdies and sold in 1622 to Charles Suckling. By the mid-seventeenth century they were held by John Tuthill, who died in 1684, at which point the manors passed to his daughter Elizabeth, wife of John Mingay. Their daughters and heiresses sold the manor in c.1716 to Robert Atwood, Esq. His son John inherited and then the manors passed to his daughter Anne, married to Thomas Gooch, Esq. Sir Thomas Gooch was given as lord in court books of 1783; an abridgment of court books from 1665 was prepared for him at this date (MC 1831/23, includes 1783 rental). The manors were sold in 1824 to John Steward and they remained with the Stewards into the twentieth century.
The three manors held their own courts, but from at least the seventeenth century they were recorded in the same court books.
John Steward, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.
Last transaction dated: 1881; lord of the manor (with Thorpe Hall and Netherhall): John Steward; Steward: J. Wilson Gilbert [TNA, HMC 5/6].
In a letter of 1662, Robert Hampson is of the opinion that one of the manors named Saxlingham is held of the Honour of Clare, but that he does not know which [NRO, WHT 1/73].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

TAKEN FROM BLOMEFIELD: Wood Hall Manor.\r\nOf this some account has been mentioned; it was in the priory of Waisingham, and extended into Great Ryburgh, if not a part of that manor.\r\nIn the 3d of Henry IV. the prior held here 2 parts of a fee, and was part of the Lord Valoine's.—At the Dissolution, it was granted to Sir William Butts, M. D. from whose family it came to the Bacons. \r\nFrom: 'Gallow and Brothercross Hundreds: Ryburgh Parva', An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 7, pp. 168-172. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=78321&strquery=ryburgh Date accessed: 15 July 2013.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

c8358752-e869-4727-ae18-ea4052029db9

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 29/08/2007 by Droip. Modified 28/10/2019 by Droje.

Sources

Accession area