File MS 881, 3E4 - Manor of Thirning and Salkirkhall. Quit Rents

Identity area

Reference code

MS 881, 3E4

Title

Manor of Thirning and Salkirkhall. Quit Rents

Date(s)

  • 1788-1833 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

13 pieces

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

According to Blomefield, the manor belonged to St. Peirs de Bassingham and then came to the De Mauteby family through marriage in the thirteenth century. It remained in this family, and was sometimes referred to as Salle Mauteby, until it passed by marriage to the Pastons in the reign of Henry VI. It stayed with the Pastons until 1642 when Sir William Paston sold it to Erasmus Earl, Esq., with the manor of Briston. Augustine Earl, Esq., died lord in 1762 and the manor passed by the marriage of his daughter to William Wigget Bulwer, Esq., of Wood Dalling. W.E.L. Bulwer is given as lord in White's directory (1845) and William Earle Gascoyne Lytton-Bulwer in Kelly's (1900). \r\nColonel William Earle Gascoyne Lytton Bulwer is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The manor belonged to the Earls of Richmond. The Lenhams had it from early thirteenth century and sold it in 1273 to Robert Burnell, who later became Bishop of Bath and Wells. Burnell purchased more land within the parish and the advowson of the church from the prior of Norwich. The manor, as part of Burnell's considerable estate, descended to his nephew and heir, Edward Lord Burnell, in 1292. Edward Burnel, holding of the Earl of Pembroke, died in possession 1315-6; heir Maud his sister late the wife of John Lovel [IPM 5/611]. Alina wife of Edward Burnel died in possession 1363-4; heirs 'not known' [IPM 11/489]. Edward Burnell, holding of the Honour of Richmond, died in possession 1416; heirs his three daughters [IPM 20/517]. It remained in the Burnel family until 1416 when it came to Sir John Radcliffe by marriage. It stayed with the Radcliffes, as Earls of Sussex, until 1597 when it was sold to John Hunt, Dr of Law and master of the High Court of Chancery. John Hunt's daughter inherited in the early seventeenth century, and it then came to the Pitts family by marriage. John Pitts, her son, conveyed it in circa 1666, to Erasmus Earle, Esq. It remained with the Earls until it passed by marriage to William Wigget Bulwer in the 1760s (see also Kirkhall and Stinton Hall in Salle, and Briston). The manor remained as part of the Bulwer estate into the twentieth century.
Colonel William Earle Gascoyne Lytton Bulwer is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.
Lieutenant-Colonel W.E.G.L. Bulwer is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Marcon Collection

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Paper.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

53e62447-5bf3-4488-a2fd-2e3a38b05571

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Uncatalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 20/08/2007 by Droip. Modified 12/07/2018 by Droip.

Sources

Accession area