Fonds MC 2979, 1028X9 - Manor of Sutton Insoken Court Book

Identity area

Reference code

MC 2979, 1028X9

Title

Manor of Sutton Insoken Court Book

Date(s)

  • 1660-1676 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

1 gathering

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The Earl of Pembroke is named as lord of the manor of Sutton in the Nomina Villarum of 1316.
Earl of Pembroke died in possession 1323-5; heir John Hastings [IPM 6/518]. At an inquisition taken in 1354, William de Clynton, late Earl of Huntingdon, was found to have died in possession of the manor, holding it of Mary, Countess Marshal; John his nephew was heir [IPM 10/193]. Juliana, Countess of Huntingdon was found to have held the manor by way of dower after the death of her husband John Hastings, at an inquisition held in 1368. She held the manor of Sir Walter de Maunny. John Hastings, Earl of Pembroke, was her husband's heir [IPM 12/119]. Richard, Earl of Arundel, died holding the manor formerly of his wife Philppa's first husband John Hastings, held of the dower of his wife, 1397-8 [IPM 15/962]. John de Hastings, late Earl of Pembroke, died in possession 1389-90 [IPM 16/875]. An IPM of 1389-90 found that the Earl of Pembroke had previously held the manor [and other manors] which had been dower of his wife Anne: the manors had been taken into the King's hands on her death because her heir was a minor [IPM 16/899]. Philippa, widow of John de Hastings, died holding in dower, held of Lord Mowbray of the manor of Forncett, 1400; heir is her brother Edward son of Roger Earl of March [IPM 18/469].
According to Blonefield, the Neville's, lords of Abergavenny, were lords of this manor from the mid-15th century.
The Earl of Abergavenny is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).
Last transaction dated: 1870; lord of the manor: Charles Tabor; Steward: Jos Beaumont [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Archival history

Formerly known as NRS (BCH) Various.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Received by the Norfolk Record Office at an unknown date probably before 1955. Catalogued 8 November 2013 (IRP).

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Old parchment deed used as a cover.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

On microfilm MF/X 159/19.

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

cea3a885-3f4e-43f9-8371-1a922b00dacf

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 25/03/2013 by Droip. Modified 05/03/2019 by Catherine.Collins.

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places