File MS 6083, 16C5 - Manor of Southrepps Brosyards rental, 1664, 1673, with Thorpe Market with members rental, 1673

Identity area

Reference code

MS 6083, 16C5

Title

Manor of Southrepps Brosyards rental, 1664, 1673, with Thorpe Market with members rental, 1673

Date(s)

  • 1664, 1673 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

8 folios

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The manor was the property of the Abbess of Bruisyard [Suffolk] until the Dissolution, when it was granted to Nicholas Hare in 1539. Three years later Hare had licence to alien it to Sir John Gresham. Sir John held his first court in 1542, William Gresham and Beatrice his wife held their first court in 1554 and Edmund Gresham in 1556. During this time the manor was referred to as Southrepps Greshams on the part of Brosyards in court rolls. Sir Richard Gresham conveyed it to Robert Blofield in 1614 who almost immediately sold it to Ralph Hartstong in whose family it remained into the mid-seventeenth century. By the early eighteenth century Brosyards was administered with Thorpe Market indicating that it was held by the lords of that manor i.e. Britliffe and Lord Suffield.\r\nAccording to the court records, Charles, Lord Suffield was owner in 1920.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Thorpe Market manor appears to have been split into several sub-manors, holding their own courts, at some point before the late fourteenth century (see Brynyngs, Redisham and Rands manors). These parts were united by the beginning of the late fifteenth century, and by the end of the sixteenth century the manor had been united with that formerly belonging to Coxford Priory (see Coxford Priory manor).
From the sixteenth century onwards, the court leet was held twice yearly at, or near to, the feast of St Gregory and the feast of St Peter ad Vincula. This pattern is evident from sixteenth and seventeenth century court rolls; earlier rolls for the individual sub-manors do not demonstrate this pattern, each sub manor seems to hold a leet in turn.
Sir John Heydon held his first court in 1523 with Robert Brampton, Thomas Abbys and other feoffees. In 1536 John Gresham held his first court of the manor, lately of William Botrye. Botery's is named as one of the sub-manors, or parts, in fifteenth century court rolls (see Brynyngs manor). Sir John Gresham is described as citizen and mayor of London, although it was his brother Richard who was mayor in 1537. Sir Richard Gresham held court in 1603. Sir John Wentworth, Philip Bedingfield, Thomas Bedingfield and Arthur Jenney held court in 1625. Thomas Bedingfield again held court in 1627, this time with Sir Thomas Woodhouse, Sir Richard Wiseman and Thomas Wiseman and other feoffees. This same group of feoffees also held court on the same date for Thorpe nuper Coxford Prioris manor, suggesting that, if not yet united, the two manors were held by the same person(s).
The manor was called Thorpe Market with Members from the mid-seventeenth century and court rolls define business related to land on the part of Kidlombs and Coxford Priory, suggesting that by this time Coxford had united with Thorpe Market (Coxford Priory had held land of Kidlombs manor from the fourteenth century).
Thomas Rant purchased the manor(s) and was lord in 1668. Sir William Rant is given as lord in 1678 and 1710. The manor passed to Sir Robert Britliffe by marriage to one of Rant's daughters; he held his first court in 1712 and was lord until at least 1723; Sir Harbord Harbord, Bt, is given as lord in 1785 and the manor remained in this family, as Lords Suffield, into the twentieth century.
Lord Suffield is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

PRO deposit Suffield per NRS

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Paper.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Description control area

Description identifier

11721a7c-45cf-4ac0-8edf-fc6eba31e3da

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Uncatalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 20/08/2007 by Droip. Modified 12/07/2018 by Droip.

Sources

Accession area