NRS 2710, 12D1
Manor of Sall' Brigges, terrier, October 11 Hen VII ; manor of Kirkehall in Sall court roll, 11 Hen VIII .
- 1495, 1520 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
According to Blomefield, the manor belonged to St. Peirs de Bassingham and then came to the De Mauteby family through marriage in the thirteenth century. It remained in this family, and was sometimes referred to as Salle Mauteby, until it passed by marriage to the Pastons in the reign of Henry VI. It stayed with the Pastons until 1642 when Sir William Paston sold it to Erasmus Earl, Esq., with the manor of Briston. Augustine Earl, Esq., died lord in 1762 and the manor passed by the marriage of his daughter to William Wigget Bulwer, Esq., of Wood Dalling. W.E.L. Bulwer is given as lord in White's directory (1845) and William Earle Gascoyne Lytton-Bulwer in Kelly's (1900). \r\nColonel William Earle Gascoyne Lytton Bulwer is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.
Name of creator
This manor took its name from the Nugouns or Noiouns family: Sir Ralph de Nugoun was lord in the reign of King John. John de Nuioun died in possession of manor of Salle 1324-5; heir his son John [IPM 6/545]. John de Noigun died in possession 1342, holding jointly with his wife Beatrice; his son John heir [IPM 8/322, 323]. Beatrice, late wife of John Noioun,died in possession, July 1349; heir her son John [IPM 9/389, 655]. At an inquisition held in 1361, John, son of John Nogon, was found to have been in possession of the manor, holding it of Michael de Poninges [IPM 11/192]. The manor remained with the family and then in the early fourteenth century passed by marriage to the Fitz Osberts, although parts were held by others. In the early fifteenth century Thomas Brigg and John Melman were found to hold three parts of a fee of Lord Morley; Thomas Brigg of Salle died lord of the manor in 1444, his son John in 1494. \r\nThe manor continued with the Briggs into the late sixteenth century when Mary the sole heir to the lordship was married to John Fountain, Esq., in 1587. Blomefield states that the manor remained with the Fountains, but Parsons states that the manor had been sold in 1550 to Robert Sendall and that it was sold to Brigg Fountaine in 1632. Brigg Fountaine, Esq., died without heir in 1729, and his estate was left to his sister Dorothy, widow of John Repps, Esq., of Mateshall. The manor passed in 1760 to Dorothy's granddaughter, Virtue, who was married to Edward Hase. \r\nEdward Hase, Esq., was lord in 1793 and by the early nineteenth century the manor had passed by marriage to the Jodrell family. It was then sold to Major Timothy White in 1890 in whose family it remained into the twentieth century. \r\nThere were two commons within the parish of Salle, Marshgate Green and Lunton Green; Noggons manor had right over the former.
Executors of Col. Bulwer
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Paper. Repaired June 1960.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 08/11/2006 by Droip. Modified 06/08/2015 by Droip.