File MS 5744, 14A4 - Manor of Gimingham court roll

Identity area

Reference code

MS 5744, 14A4


Manor of Gimingham court roll


  • 1384-1385 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

7 rotulets

Context area

Name of creator


Administrative history

It was a soke, and its 'members' held their own courts. The Crown Pleas roll of 1286 records that the soke of Gimingham consisted of eight villages: Gimingham, Knapton, Southrepps, Northrepps, Trunch, Sidestrand and Trimingham are named [which makes seven]. The eighth is perhaps Hulver [in the parish of Antingham] which also held courts as an element within the soke. \r\nEarl Warrenne had the manor in 1086; and his descendant of the same name at the time of the Nomina Villarum of 1316. The Warennes granted it to Thomas Earl of Lancaster in 1318-9 [Blomefield]: John de Warenna died in possession, holding of the Earl of Lancaster, 1347-8; heir Richard, Earl of Arundel The manor was held of the king for service of one mushroom. The manor included a market at Trunch [IPM 9/54]. At an inquisition held in 1362, Maud, late the wife of the Duke of Bavaria, was found to have been in possession of the manor, holding it of the king. Blanche, wife of John of Gaunt, her sister was heir [IPM 11/231].\r\nThe members of this manor were extensive and, as ascertained from rentals of sixteenth and seventeenth century date (see MC 1858/13), were located in various locations including: Cley, Cromer, Happisburgh, Holkham, Holt, Kelling, Mundesley, Northrepps, Overstrand, Paston, Salthouse, Southrepps, Stalham and Stiffkey. John Winn Thomlinson was lord of that part in Cley, as well as of the manor of Cley next the Sea itself, at the time of the Inclosure Act of 1808 [NRO, DCN 53/6/1].\r\nThe manor of Gimingham was sold to the City of London by Charles I, 1628, and by the City to Edward and John Feilder, 1652 [NRO, GTN 2/1/18]. \r\nIn 1653, Edward and John Feilder sold to Edmund Britiff the parts of the manor of Gimingham extending into the parishes of Cley, Blakeney, Salthouse, Kelling, Morston, Langham, Stiffkey, Wells, Holkham, Holt, Wiveton, Bayfield, Letheringsett, Glandford, Briningham and Cockthorpe [NRO, GTN 1/1/18/2/7]. They also sold the submanor of Hulver, which see.\r\nLord Suffield held the manor, of the Crown, in the mid-nineteenth century (White's, 1845). \r\nLast transaction dated: 1866; lord of the manor: Lord Suffield; Steward: W. Henry Scott [TNA, HMC 5/6]. According to the court records, Charles, Lord Suffield was owner in 1920.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

PRO deposit Suffield per NRS

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Repaired May 1961.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Description control area

Description identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 20/08/2007 by Droip. Modified 12/07/2018 by Droip.


Accession area