King's Lynn Borough, Guildhall Court; c 1537-1841; King's Lynn, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

King's Lynn Borough, Guildhall Court; c 1537-1841; King's Lynn, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

c 1537-1841

History

A charter of 7 July 1537 from Henry VIII granted two Courts every week to be held in the Guildhall. Met twice weekly, on Wednesdays and Saturdays, before the Mayor, the Recorder, or their deputies in the Trinity Guildhall. The court heard civil pleas, mainly relating to debts and broken contracts, and a few for assault and trespass on property. In 1841 it was retitled the Court of Record for the trial of civil actions.

Places

King's Lynn, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB/153/NM/9482

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 03/10/2018 by Drv06

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

E. M. Beloe, 'The Guildhall Court of King's Lynn'

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC