John Wakeryng; ?-1425; clergyman and Bishop of Norwich

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

John Wakeryng; ?-1425; clergyman and Bishop of Norwich

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

?-1425

History

His surname is taken from the village name in Essex. Instituted to the rectory of St Bennet Sherehog in London on 21 February 1389. Made Master of the Rolls on 2 March 1405, and Canon of Wells in 1409. Became Archbishop of Canterbury, Lord Privy Seal, and one of the Select Council to King Henry VI. In 1410 became Lord Keeper of the great seal. Elected 24 November 1415, temporalities 27 May 1416, consecrated 31 May 1416 at St Paul's Church, London by Henry Chichely, Archbishop of Canterbury. In 1418 he ordained the chapel belonging to his palace at Hoxne. Built the cloister from the bishop's palace to the church door at his own expense. Also built the Chapter House on the south side of the cathedral. Died 9 April 1425.

Places

Norwich, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

clergyman; Bishop of Norwich

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB/153/NM/5449

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 21/11/2003 by Droip

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC