Fonds AUD 29 - John Innes Centre's Library Information and Archive Service: sound recordings

Identity area

Reference code

AUD 29

Title

John Innes Centre's Library Information and Archive Service: sound recordings

Date(s)

  • 1942-2013 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

75 Waveform Audio files, 139 papers

Context area

Name of creator

(1994-)

Administrative history

The John Innes Centre was established in 1994 by the amalgamation of the John Innes Institute, the Plant Breeding Institute and the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory.\r\nThe John Innes Horticultural Institution was founded at Merton, South London, in 1910. The first director was William Bateson. He was succeeded, in 1926, by Sir A. Daniel Hall and J.B.S. Haldane became part-time Head of Genetical Research. Sir Daniel was succeeded, in 1939, by C.D. Darlington. After the Second World War, the Institution moved to Bayfordbury estate in Hertfordshire. In 1966-7, the John Innes Institute moved to its present site at Colney, near Norwich. Other directors of the Institute include K.S. Dodds, Roy Markham, Harold Woolhouse and Professor Richard B. Flavell.\r\nThe Plant Breeding Institute was established in 1912, within the Cambridge University School of Agriculture. In 1948, it was established as an Agricultural Research Council institute, which resulted in it severing its links to Cambridge University. In 1955, it moved from the University farm to Trumpington, Cambridgeshire. In 1987, the non-privatised part of the PBI was integrated into the Institute of Plant Science Research, which included the John Innes Institute and the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory in Sussex. In 1990, the majority of the PBI's scientific staff were relocated to newly built facilities at the John Innes Institute. Directors of the Institute include Sir Rowland Biffen, H. Hunter, G.D.H. Bell, and Sir Ralph Riley.\r\nThe Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory was established in 1963, as the Agricultural and Food Research Council (AFRC) Unit of Nitrogen Fixation. Initially it was located at the Veterinary College and Queen Mary College, London. In 1965, it moved to the Chemistry Laboratories at the University of Sussex. In 1987, the Unit was incorporated into AFRC Institute of Plant Science Research (IPSR), which included the John Innes Institute and Cambridge Laboratory. In 1992 AFRC decided to move the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory into a purpose-built laboratory on the John Innes Centre site. This move took place in late summer 1995. Directors of the Laboratory include J. Chatt, J.R. Postgate and Barry E. Smith.

Name of creator

(1910-1994)

Administrative history

The John Innes Horticultural Institution was founded at Merton, South London, in 1910. The first director was William Bateson. He was succeeded, in 1926, by Sir A. Daniel Hall and J.B.S. Haldane became part-time Head of Genetical Research. Sir Daniel was succeeded, in 1939, by C.D. Darlington. After the Second World War, the Institution moved to Bayfordbury estate in Hertfordshire. In 1966-7, the John Innes Institute moved to its present site at Colney, near Norwich. Other directors of the Institute include K.S. Dodds, Roy Markham, Harold Woolhouse and Professor Richard B. Flavell.\r\nAmalgamated with the John Innes Institute, the Plant Breeding Institute and the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory to form the John Innes Centre in 1994.

Name of creator

(1912-1994)

Administrative history

The Plant Breeding Institute was established in 1912, within the Cambridge University School of Agriculture. In 1948, it was established as an Agricultural Research Council institute, which resulted in it severing its links to Cambridge University. In 1955, it moved from the University farm to Trumpington, Cambridgeshire. In 1987, the non-privatised part of the PBI was integrated into the Institute of Plant Science Research, which included the John Innes Institute and the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory in Sussex. In 1990, the majority of the PBI's scientific staff were relocated to newly built facilities at the John Innes Institute. Directors of the Institute include Sir Rowland Biffen, H. Hunter, G.D.H. Bell, and Sir Ralph Riley.\r\nAmalgamated with the John Innes Institute and the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory to form the John Innes Centre in 1994.

Name of creator

(1963-1994)

Administrative history

The Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory was established in 1963, as the Agricultural and Food Research Council (AFRC) Unit of Nitrogen Fixation. Initially it was located at the Veterinary College and Queen Mary College, London. In 1965, it moved to the Chemistry Laboratories at the University of Sussex. In 1987, the Unit was incorporated into AFRC Institute of Plant Science Research (IPSR), which included the John Innes Institute and Cambridge Laboratory. In 1992 AFRC decided to move the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory into a purpose-built laboratory on the John Innes Centre site. This move took place in late summer 1995. Directors of the Laboratory include J. Chatt, J.R. Postgate and Barry E. Smith.\r\nAmalgamated with the John Innes Institute and the Plant Breeding Institute to form the John Innes Centre in 1994.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Received by the Norfolk Sound Archive on 6 April 2009 (SAC 2009/1), as copies made of original recordings, deposited with them temporarily by the John Innes Centre's Library Information and Archive Service on 7 October 2008 (TD 2008/24). Received by the Norfolk Sound Archive on 24 October 2013 (SAC 2013/21), as copies made of original recordings, deposited with them temporarily by the John Innes Centre's Library Information and Archive Service on 5 August 2013 (TD 2013/17).

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Relate to history of John Innes Centre and its predecessor bodies, which were the John Innes Institute, the Plant Breeding Institute and the Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

98824d05-e0b3-4e2c-ad40-22a85b346122

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 16/10/2008 by Drojd. Modified 27/02/2019 by Catherine.Collins.

Sources

Accession area