- MC 186/346, 650X4
Papers mostly dating from the late 1870s-c 1907 but with some earlier material. The following are included: notes for addresses by Bensly to learned societies, on Cathedral history to the Huguenot Society, 1888, on the Tanner MSS, 1891, and on the cathedral archives; notes on military flags in the Cathedral, the Bauchan Chapel, its bosses and its restoration, 1873-1907; offprint from 'Norfolk Archaeology' vol. 8 on sealed altar slab and letter from Sewell re inscription at Denham, Suffolk, naming Prior William de Kirkebi as donor, 1879; drawings and rubbings of masons' marks in Cathedral, 1893; list of Chapter Clerks, 1660-1870; refs. to altars in Cathedral, 1274-1343; papers, photos and plan rel. to printed reports by Bensly and W. St John Hope re 'unflaking' of Nave and associated discoveries inc. drawings of pattern of mass-vestments found in Bishop Lyhart's grave, 1898-1899; proof copy of 'Memorials of Old Norfolk' by Bensly, 1907-1908; texts of lectures by Prof. Willis to the Archaeological Institute, 1847, and by L.G. Bolingbroke on history of Close, 1916, the latter with MS plans; letters from the S.P.A.B. protesting against work to the West Front with copy report by W. St John Hope, 1880, and letters from Hope attacking proposed arrangement of Choir, 1892 ('Mr Pearson must be kept out of Norwich'); correspondence with Dean Kitchin of Durham on Norwich Cathedral statutes, 1900, and with Revd A. Clark on ballad of 1601 describing the Cathedral, 1905; letters from Archdeacon Nevill, Dean Goulburn, Augustus Jessopp, William Hudson and Fred Johnson; transcript of notes of arms and monument in the Cathedral by the 16th century herald Henry Chitting; newscuttings relating to the history of the Cathedral and events connected with it, e.g. the 800th anniversary, 1896, Bishop Pelham's death, 1894, controversy over reduction of Minor Canons' stipends, 1893; interior and exterior photographs of the Cathedral and Close inc. of Presbytery pier showing Norman work below later floor line, grave in which signet ring of c 1520 was found, opened 1899, figure of Sir Thomas Erpingham, from Erpingham Gate, and No. 67, Upper Close; printed order of 1716 regulating mode of repairing Chapter property; copy of poem of 1781 on desecration of Cathedral burial ground; printed 19th century poem on the Cathedral by W.L. and printed poems on H.J. Minns the Cathedral suicide, 1880, and in memory of Bishop Pelham by T.P. Perowne, 1896; transcript of Sacrist's burial register, 1703-1773; rough sketch by Brakspeare for restoration of flying buttress, and drawing for Bishop's crook, nd; various prints of the Cathedral inc. circulars advertising reproductions of paintings of it, nd.
Augustus Jessopp; 1823-1914; historian; Scarning, Norfolk