- ACC 2021/152
- c 1900-2021
The original Post Office featured in this photograph was
situated on the corner of The Common and Old Chapel Road,
The photograph was taken around the turn of the century. The man in the trilby is Charles James Brock the postmaster at the time, who was also a tailor.
The man on the left is Charles' son Alfred Robert, born 1st March 1877 and died of his wounds on the last day of WW1, 10th November 1918.
The girl on the left is lsabel (b. 7 June 1885), who took over the Post Office from her father.
ln 1942, Elsie Browne, Charles' granddaughter, took it over as part of her war work and brought it to 91 The Green. She ran it for 35 years. ln 1977, Freda Pipes, her daughter ran it for the following 20 years.
The Post Office then moved to 87 The Green where it was run by Richard Church and subsequently his daughter Joanna until 2017 when it was closed permanently.
Freethorpe School forms 4, 5, and 6, c. 1925, names on reverse.
Digital copy of Elsie Madge Brown (nee Brock)'s memoirs, written in the 1990s, copy made by NRO.
Norfolk Record Office; 1963-; archive service, Norfolk